1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

4.1 'sees' my USB drive but 4.2 doesn't

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by varimac, Jun 5, 2014.

1. varimac

varimac New Member

Jun 5, 2014

Sponsored Ad

My daughter has a heap of baby videos on a USB stick. I can play these easily with File Manager on my phone running 4.1 .
    But on her phone running 4.2, File Manager doesn't even see it.
    So I downloaded Total Commander and USB-stick Plugin. Once again I had complete success with 4.1 and none with 4.2.

Any thoughts, suggestions as to why this should be and how to fix or work around it would be greatly appreciated.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What are you using to connect the stick to the phone? If it is a cable you have to make sure it is an USB OTG (On The Go) cable.

If that is correct I have to wonder if there is a driver issue with the updated OS.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. varimac

varimac New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Yes, it is a OTG cable. I have a couple of them so I tried the USB stick with both cables and both phones. 100% success on the 4.1 phone - zero success with the 4.2 phone.
    If you're right about the driver being the problem, is there anything I can do about it?

Oh, and thanks for the response - much appreciated. :)

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry for the delayed response...Been away...

What phone are we talking about?

6. varimac

varimac New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    The phones aren't anything fancy.
    The one running 4.1 is a Huawei Ascend Mate and the one running 4.2 is a Neken N6.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am not so sure the problem is the OS version, but may be something in the device firmware. There are some phone models that have trouble reading USB sticks and of course the manufacturer is usually blamed. It is usually because the ability to read OTG is not always built in to all devices.

You may have to root the Neken N6 if it does not have the ability to read OTG already built in.

I cannot find much about those devices so I really don't know much about what they can and can't do. The few posts I saw that weren't "for sale listings" all seem to be blogs that are blocked by the pesky firewalls here at work.

Rooting may also be a bit difficult finding the tools, but I think you may have some luck searching over at XDA.

Wish I could provide more information. I will take a look tonight when I arrive at the hotel I am heading to......

8. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    You need to change the USB be cable and try it, it might happens some times that, some USB cable not supports some.