1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Add IR capabilities to Nexus 7 FHD

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by nickademus420, Jan 24, 2014.

1. nickademus420

nickademus420 New Member

Jan 24, 2014

Sponsored Ad

I was just wondering if anyone has added IR capabilities to their Nexus 7 FHD?
    I figured that I could buy a USB to IR adapter, plug it into the Usb OTG connector and then I could use IR apps to remote control my tv.
    Anyone have any luck with this?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Don't know of anyone having done that. Not sure if it can or can't be done. I am doubtful you would be able to get a fully functional and reliable remote out of a device with no built-in IR hardware and support. I would never say never though.

In a different direction is the Logitec Harmony Smart Control. Purchase hardware (Harmony Hub), install a free phone app and the system converts WiFi signals from the phone to IR and BT commands the video system understands (if supported).

Looks cool, but I have never used that either....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I have the Harmony Link. Its not bad, works as advertised. Need a laptop or PC to set it up, but one you set it up, just power it up and enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    A couple of things. The Harmony Smart Control is great. Solves two problems. You get app based control and the 'free' remote is actually really good. The only drawback is that it's not backlit. We bought one and exchanged for the Ultimate. I actually prefer the Smart Control, but needed additional features (sleep timer, backlit).

You can recreate most of this without buying the Harmony. They don't make Roomie Remote for Android, but there are other alternatives. What you'll need is the iTach Flex IP or something like it. It basically converts the commands sent by your app to IR. The setup isn't cheap, nor is it flawless. I ended up moving to the newer Harmony from the Roomie setup. There are some awesome things you can do when you have an app based remote. It ends up being like a full-on command center.

If you read my review over iCafe, you'll find more information about the setup.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    How about this for Android? Full version seems to have more to offer as you might expect.