1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

ALPS MT6517 iphone 5 clone usb installation

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Popola, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014

Sponsored Ad

Hi guys, I have an iPhone 5 clone which I cannot connect to my pc. (Win 7 64/32 bit) When I plugged it in, it detects as "Unknown Device" in USB controllers category in Device Manager. I've tried a bunch of MTK 65xx drivers, ADB drivers, Install from disk (.inf file), even tried Pda.Net but still can't install the usb drivers.
    I've also tried to power it off then press Volume + then plugged it. (SD card removed, battery cannot remove because it's soldered) It detects as MTK USB Port but it never detects as MTK 65xx Preloader as to what I've searched.
    I am so frustrated and I really really want to connect this to my pc so I can start flashing on it.
    I hope you can help me with this guys.
    model: MT6517
    board: sanstar15_2006_p5_gb2
    manufacturer: ALPS
    CPU: ARM Cortex-A9
    RAM: 233 MB
    hardware: MT6575
    Android Version: 4.1.2 (but I can tell it's Gingerbread)
    Kernel Arch: armv71
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    4.1.2 is not Gingerbread. It is Jelly Bean.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Yes, I want to believe so but I cannot install other application that is compatible with JB. Even the UI doesn't look like JB. Definitely GB.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    You can try unplugging phone from pc, and go to phones website on pc to install proper drivers. Also, make sure phone is in proper "mode" when connected. On my phone, when I connect to pc, in notification bar, I need to pull down and select "mass storage" mode.

6. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I can't find the phone's website coz it's a china phone (ALPS). USB Debugging mode is the only mode i can select. No mass storage, mtp etc. I've already tried installing a lot USB drivers but still no luck.

Some people are able to root the same device by connecting it to pc but there's no reply from them yet that's why I'm trying my luck going around the forums for the solution.

#5 Popola, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If you have an iPhone clone with Android JellyBean supposedly installed, but you swear it is actually GingerBread then I really don't expect you will be able to do much with it.

One thing I can suggest is if you are using the cheapo USB cables the phone came with is to try a better cable. Maybe you will have better luck.

Lastley, you could try trolling through this lengthy XDA thread that deals with bricked and problematic Mediatek MT65XX series phones. Perhaps that may help and maybe Mediatek is actually the manufacturer of the chipset. I believe ALPS is a maker of electronic sensors and drivers for those sensors, but there are so many small companies out there and the Chinese phone industry makes so many off-brand and "midnight over-runs" devices it is hard to know what is in any of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    It must be the cable. I will try a better one and see if it works. I will look on that link too. This means a lot to me. You have my sincere thanks, man. :D

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I hope you have success....Let us know what happens!

10. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Welp, I've tried 3 different cables from different stores but still the same. In the phone it says USB Debugging Connected.

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds like you see a different message than before. Debugging mode is used by developers and if it is enabled that could be a problem for connecting to sync with a PC.

Try going to Settings and look to see if Developer Options appears in any of the lists. If you see that, select it and look to see if USB Debugging is selected and if so uncheck it.

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    By the way, if you don't see Developers Options in any of the Settings lists the I wonder if it was somehow enabled, but hidden. Navigate to Settings and find About or About This Device. Look for Build Number and tap that seven (7) times a message should appear "You Are Now A Developer". Go back to Settings and you should then find Developers Options in one of the lists.

13. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    The About Phone is modified, there's no Build Number of some sort in there. I tried ticking USB Debbuging Mode on and off before and now again, still getting the same error message. Everything that I encounter is still the same ever since.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry....I am out of ideas. Not sure why anyone would modify About Phone either.

Good luck...Let us know what finally happens...

15. Popola

Popola New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    It's okay. I appreciate your help man. I will post if I fixed it. Thank you. :)A

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    So in your About Phone screen you don't see the Build Number line like here:
    [​IMG]

Are any of the items shown above included in what you see on the phone screen?

In what screen do you see the Debugging Mode with the check box? Older versions of Android had the Debugging option included in the Settings list. New versions had to use the Build Number trick to show the Debugging option so if you are on versions prior to JB 4.2 you won't need the Build Number trick.

When you say you turn Debugging On or Off do you mean you check or uncheck a box? After unchecking try restarting the phone. However, since you probably don't have a removable battery (I think, right?) you won't be able to do a hard reboot the way I can. Try first to hold your power button until it shows Power Off? and if it does then allow it to. This should clear the RAM, but may not solve the issue. Try plugging in the USB and see if recognized.

If not, you might think about a Factory Reset, which will DELETE ALL DATA from the phone so make sure you have backups. You should see the Factory Reset option in the Settings menu. It may be hidden in the Storage choice or Maybe in a Backup option. After a full reboot and restart see if the USB is recognized.

Now I am out of ideas. I hope one of the resets works for you.