1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android 2.1 on netbook; screen rotate problem

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by netbooktest87, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netbooktest87

netbooktest87 New Member

Jan 18, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hi everyone... my first post here. I didn't see a more pertinent forum for my question, so here goes...

I have Android 2.1 OS on a netbook. This is obviously meant for a cell phone but manipulated to be used with a netbook.

The problem is that when I open any game downloaded off the App Market, the screen rotates 90 degrees to the left, making the game essentially unplayable (it messes up the functionality of the touchpad as well).

I have searched through the Settings multiple times and cannot find a solution. I was hoping hoping under Display there would be an "Orientation" option, but nothing there.

I have tried multiple keyboard shortcuts with no success. Maybe there is a shortcut that I haven't tried??

As for Apps that might resolve my problem, I have searched for Apps that I've read online can toggle the auto-rotate off/on, but when I search via App Market on netbook, no results are found. If I download an App on a PC, how do I transfer it to the netbook? (do I just put it on an SD card; are there any special steps? sorry for being new to this)

So, any advice, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Well I think the problem stems from running Android on a netbook. But if you download an APK file to an SD card and the netbook can read the SD card then you should have no problem running it as long as you have allowed the OS to install non market apps.

Where did you get the OS files from? What netbook do you have?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. netbooktest87

netbooktest87 New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Thank you for the prompt response. Yeah, the OS is setup to install non market apps. So I guess I will try that and see what happens.

I purchased an infrared heater and, as a promotional offer, received this netbook as a free gift. It seems pretty generic. There's no brand name on it. On the bottom of it, there's one sticker and it just says "7 inch netbook" yadda yadda yadda and the anticipated "Made in China" text. Nothing of pertinence. So far I think it's really cool. The UI is very pleasant. The internet and YouTube work far better than expected. I downloaded Kindle off the App Market and it also rotated the screen 90 degrees, but I just locked the screen and unlocked it, and the orientation went back to landscape. As for this little annoyance upon startup, the Kindle App works great. I just started reading a book. Internet, YouTube, Email, eBook reader... Nice little free gift :) Just wish I could download a few games! haha

5. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
  6. netbooktest87

netbooktest87 New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Do I need to click on that link through android? What is quick settings, btw?

7. netbooktest87

netbooktest87 New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Update: I downloaded the "SwitchPro" widget, and it includes an on/off toggle for auto-rotate. So I turned auto-rotate OFF, and it did not fix the games. This was kind of expected. The games appear to be only viewable in one orientation; portrait. But for any App that can be viewable in two orientations, like, for example, my "Kindle" app, with the auto-rotate turned off, it always opens up in landscape view.

As aforementioned, the Kindle app would sometimes open up in portrait view, which I could resolve by locking and unlocking the Android. But now, it sometimes acts like it is going to open up in portrait view (the orientation of the mouse turns 90 degrees to the left), but then it immediately switches back to landscape view. Awesome! :)

Now I just need to find some games that are viewable in landscape and I'll be happy.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I am closing this thread, this seems to be a breading ground for SPAM. If you wish to start a new thread to discuss your issues please do so.

--Thread Closed--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.