1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by manic, Jan 6, 2010.

1. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
  2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Still can't do BT voice dialing...(poor Scott...how many times have you seen me complain about this???):dft007:angry

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    I know the feeling Sherri...

5. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    I wouldn't count on seeing BT voice dialing anytime soon from what I've been told.

Can't wait for the actual 2.1 to get pushed out from VZW tho. Already seen it on a Droid but to many bugs at this point in the files on the float so there is no point in flashing to it yet.

6. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Another article on the update:

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.co...smartphones_droid_will_be_upgraded_to_21.html

Well there looks to be good news and bad news...

The bad: it doesn't look like we will be receiving the full version of 2.1 on our Droids. Some 3D features won't be enabled? That sounds like they could be but for some reason are being left out.

The awesome super good news: Flash 10.1!!!! I was wondering when this would be avaiable. The first half of 2010 was too vague and didn't seem too promising. If the Jan 22nd launch date is correct we will have flash enabled in two weeks...freakin awesome!

7. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    For those that are interested, the gallery app from 2.1 is available for the Droid right now...and you don't have to be rooted to install. I have it and it's quite an improvement over the stock gallery. Seperates pictures by date and/or location, smooth, easier swype scrolling and a little 3d action. The app and directions for install can be found over at droidmuff.in

8. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    another update

An article I found on the update showing what's upgraded in version 2.1

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186768/googles_android_21_how_itll_change_your_phone.html

I have the Flan gallery installed this gallery sounds different. Nothing too big in the update ( I was hoping for Flash 10.1 like it was rumored). The most exciting thing for me is the speech to text. Now all text field support talk to text. Being able to speak text and emails sounds real cool to me.:dft009:smile

9. aggieman

Bronze

Mar 14, 2007
    Speech to text is excellent. I've found it to be pretty accurate. I've used it with twidroid and in short emails and it's been accurate about 90% of the time even with my deep Texas accent.

10. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    how exactly are you doing that? are you using an app to dictate?

11. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    I'd guess they are either running the Android 2.1 Rom already, or have one of the custom 2.0.1 ROM on there device that had certain 2.1 stuff ported and updated so it works. I'll be flashing mine soon just havent had time the past few days.

If you're interested check out this site http://www.sholes.info/

12. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    that's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some cool app. The speech to text apps Ive used are not too good. Hopefully 2.1 fixes that. Im not comfortable enough to root my phone.Guess I will just have to wait for the update!

13. TreeFrog

Bronze

Aug 27, 2007
    i just got mine less than a week ago and am waitin on most things to see what this update brings...dont know why just chillin to see. i did find a nice tutorial that walked you through rooting with all the needed files (at this time) and pics to go with. looked pretty darn easy!

14. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    yea rooting the Droid is simple really. One file that needs to be put on the TF card, reboot into recovery to install and you are pretty much golden.

15. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I've been reading some of this other posts on some of the sister forums, he's using a Nexus One.

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Any updates on this? anyone receieve the update yet? suprised noones gotten anything yet, was this all a rumor? or is everyone supposed to get it tonight/today?

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i havent even read on engadget, BGR or android central of any updates

18. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Hopefully this all wasnt just rumors.

19. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    AFAIK it was just a rumor. There was no mention of anything happening on or around today except the 2.0.1 update for Milestone owners

20. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    It looks like it might just be a rumor. Motorola just posted this on Twitter:

MotoMobile For DROID users asking about an OTA update, we have not released a new one since Dec. update. Pls visit our support forums if having issues

Who knows? They don't exactly deny there is an update today.

21. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    I like their little plug for the support forums... but they forgot the link:dft012:wink