1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android as a whole.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Weapondrift, May 15, 2010.

1. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Not so recently, we discovered that the Droid Eris will soon be EOL (End of Life) for Verizon. Along with this we have been getting reports on the numerous Nexus One issues and problems relating (but not limited to) to the screen viewing issues, and the junxtapose of bugs in the device. When seeing this, I begin to wonder if I should be worried about Android/Google. As one of the top competitors on the smartphone industry, Google/Linux have made brilliant strides in producing a product that very much outshines the competition. With the closest competitor being Apple (it pains me to type that :p) I recognize that even tho it is barely "wet behind the ears" the leaps and bounds it has achieved have been remarkable.
    So in finality I reach my question(s) as a company what can Android as a company do to become better?
    How can the Android OS improve and what would you like to see in future devices?
    What improvements would you like to see in the marketplace?

2. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I want backup. Without rooting the device. If my phone falls in the creek I want to be able to get back to where I had the device immediately. Everything else is in the cloud, why isn't my home screen layout there too?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i think once they clean up the fragmentation a little and get the carriers to all release the same version things will get better. Eris being EOL'd might have been premature by vzw, but then again with the Droid and Incredible is the Eris really needed? Ill update the wifes Eris today/tomorrow when it comes and she should be set for a while. i think the carriers need to confirm upfront how far they will take the device, as we can see the G1 (original phone) can handle 2.1, but t-mo wont update it or slow down the updates. i think the game is changing in OS releases with android. google is cranking out the OS updates at wicked fast speeds and thus outdating there own phones and leaving carriers in the dust. granted its open sourced so you can pretty much add it to whatever device you want with the great dev community out there.

with the Nexus One online store going bye bye it takes one more hand out of the pot, which i have said from the get go is good. google needs to make the OS, let the manufacturers make the device and let the carriers sell it.

so i guess android is still getting its feet wet, and catching up super fast to everyone else. we are sort of the guinea pigs, well, i think 1.5 and 1.6 users were, things are getting better with 2.x and above. as for the nexus one, the call issues/3g issues were t-mo only, so another strike against there network, which i will never switch to.

with regards to the marketplace, i dont think it needs to change. apps are being uploaded at lighting speeds, over 50k apps, right? so far there isnt much that i cant find there. sky is the limits my friend.

hope all that makes sense :p

i saw in the market yesterday 'Sprite Backup Beta' it was free
    might be something to look in to