1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Battery Saving Tips

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by stevetaz, Sep 11, 2012.

1. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Android Battery Saving Tips….

Android phones have screens that are big, bright, colorful and they suck….Power that is.

First thing is to try and determine what is sucking the battery dry. Look in Settings > About Phone > Battery > Battery Use for a breakdown of what is using what percentage of the battery life. I will guess you will most likely see the Display is the biggest user. That is what is listed first below along with a bunch of items you can look at in order to save battery life. Not all will help and this guide was written with GingerBread in mind. Names and titles may change as OS versions are updated, but there should be similarities.

· Special Note: LiIon batteries like to be kept topped off so if you are at a desk keep it plugged in whenever possible. LiIon batteries DO NOT like to be discharged below 20% or so with regularity. Allowing your phone to run low frequently will shorten your battery’s life.

· Turn down the screen brightness. Look in Settings > Display. This is subjective and some can turn it below 50% and be comfortable and others need it set above 80%. Try different settings to see what works for you. Keeping it set to Automatic guarantees maximum brightness and shortest battery life. Note that a comfortable indoor brightness will probably not work in daylight.

· If equipped, turn off 4G unless you need the speed. 4G loves to consume power. If you are in a fringe area the phone can run dry in a short time hunting for a 4G connection. Run the device on 3G (or 2G) and turn on 4G for those special times you really need it.

· Turn off those wireless features you aren’t using. Bluetooth, WiFi and Hotspot. Look in Settings > Wireless Networks.

· Increase the sync time for email accounts. Look in Settings > Accounts & sync.

· Turn off background data. Look in Settings > Accounts & sync.

· Turn off location services. Look in Settings > Location. This includes GPS, but watch out for Google Maps. Often users find GM can suck a battery dry in only two hours or even less. If installed check third-party apps like TeleNav too. Check with in individual apps for settings.

· Turn off Haptic Feedback. Look in Settings > Sounds.

· Change (Reduce) the screen timeout. Settings > Display.

· Select a plain (black) background. Very colorful backgrounds do use more battery power. Also avoid animated backgrounds as they also consume battery juice.

· Turn off Instant Messaging and disable Automatic sign-in features from within the app.

· Disable apps from running in the background. One notorious power hungry app is Facebook. Weather apps are also ones to watch. Increase the time between updates for weather apps. Updating every 15 minutes is really not necessary. Check the apps as well as in Accounts & sync.

· Watch those widgets. Some claim they don’t use power and others say they do. The widgets with automatic updating such as weather widgets should be adjusted to increase the intervals as noted above. If not adjustable you have to decide if you want to keep or discard the widget.

· Of course, constantly turning on the screen to check the phone or to just stare at the pretty colors doesn’t help battery life.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I thought I would try my hand at posting these tips as poor battery life is one of the questions seen most on forums like eA. I hope you find it of help and if you have anything to add PM me so I can update the list without making it tedious to sort through dozens of posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Download powerful control. It is a set of widgets you can place on your homescreen. Allows easy access to disable network data, wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc. So you don't have to dig through settings. Also places these controls in the drop down tray.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Everything Android

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, along those same lines, I like/use Power Toggles, its basically the same thing however uses the ICS/JB design guidelines.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for the hint Darren. I am going to give it a look-see. Here is a link to the app in Google Play too.....Some great reviews....

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    And this one has even better reviews.....I am so confused.....

8. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm just guessing, but you are probably safe either way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Everything Android

9. loustewart

loustewart Member

Jun 4, 2012
    You use the "Easy Battery Saver" app to increase the life time of battery.

10. nothingtofear

nothingtofear Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks dude..for sharing this information..!!

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, if your service is with a CDMA provider such as Sprint or Verizon that would be a bit problematic, wouldn't it?

Please remove the spam links from your signature......

#10 stevetaz, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  12. Apps like Battery Doctor will give you a much better indication of what's literally eating away at your phone's battery over time than Android's own limited battery life checker, which could help finger something that's the key culprit in draining power. And if you can live without it, bin it.

13. rldtan

rldtan New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Is there a way to disable apps from running in the background ? I know some apps install service that run in the backgound. They make the phone slow, consume battery and sometimes push irritating msgs on the notification area. I still have not find a way to stop this except totally uninstalling the app.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, you can look to the app and see what settings can be adjusted by the user. Failing that look in Settings for Applications > Manage Applications > Select the "Running" tab > scroll through the list looking for those apps that are unnecessary. Selecting them should give you the option to Stop the app.

Be careful not to stop native apps required by the OS such as Calendar, Settings, Voicemail, etc.....

15. rldtan

rldtan New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    When the app spawn services, it will not appear in that list. It's those that give me problems.:(

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Such as what apps?

• Like Like x 1
  17. rldtan

rldtan New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Mostly games. Like Ninja Royale, Blood Brothers, Retired Wizard Story etc.

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am not a game player so I have zero experience with those. Can't imagine why a game would need to run in the background if you shut it off. I was under the impression that the Android OS will begin shutting down background apps as memory is required too.

You may want to drop a note to the developers to inquire why running in the background is necessary. Perhaps a Task Killer app would give you the extra edge you need.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vvebster

Vvebster New Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Thanks For Sharing .. Informative knowledge !!

20. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    How do I know if Facebook is working as a background application? When I had the Galaxy, BetterBatteryStats always showed Facebook as the top draining application even though I set the "Refresh Invetrval" to Never and "Chat Availability" to Off. Some notifications are left active, though, including phone LED, wall posts, messages, comments, friend requests, friend confirmations and photo tags. Would turning these off help or will it still run as a backgroud application regardless?

21. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Since my BB days FaceBook has been a notorious battery and data drain pit. Just seems to be the way it is designed and people like it so much they put up with it.

You should be able to check if it is running through your Application Manager. In my Galaxy I access through Menu button > Settings > Application manager > Select the Running tab

That should tell you when FB is running.

• Like Like x 1