1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Battery Saving Tips

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by stevetaz, Sep 11, 2012.

1. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Thanks, man. Yeah, it says running even though I disabled all notifications. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to live with that because I hate the Mobile Facebook on browsers.

2. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Disabling an apps notifications has nothing to do about whether or not it stays running and resident. Many apps auto-start for notifications or faster initial access. Set them to not do that under settings and apps. Then when you use them, swipe them away from staying running, I suspect that most of that however has little to do with battery life if no notifications are on. The apps should go to zero memory usage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    Thank you for the information. I decided to install Greenify and give it a shot. I put several applications, including Facebook, Maps and Google+, under hibernation, hopefully they will not run in the background at all.

5. watsonjhon

watsonjhon Guest

In the early days of Android it was a real chore to reach the end of a busy day with battery life left. That's improved over time but it can still sometimes be difficult to get through a busy day without running the battery dry. Frequent business travelers in particular know how important it is to stretch the battery, as traveling can be hard on power usage. The tips in this collection can go a long way to help get through those days and safely back to the phone charger.

Many of these tips are simply common sense, but they are worth mentioning just in case. Plus, if they aren't mentioned some will wonder why they were overlooked.

In later versions of Android there is a nice power usage graph as shown above that is accessible via settings. It can help identify culprits that are draining the battery excessively should you notice the remaining battery seems too low.

These tips are specifically for Android phones, but most other phones likely have similar settings that can be tweaked for similar battery gain

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Watsonjhon, remove the spam signature or you will be.....

7. Olivia50

Bronze

Sep 18, 2013
    Thanks for the handy tips.... Keep sharing your experiences.....

8. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007

SEE BOB???????? LIKE THIS! Thread is "old". Whatsonjon or whoever the hell he is posted utter nonsense. Olivia50 THANKED HIM!!!! seriously. Give me a break. I think Steve is being too nice!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

9. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I don't disagree that there have been a rash of new users responding to threads that are weeks if not months old. And that some of the information posted has been on the "less than useful" side. I have been on discussions groups since the days of bitnet and Archie and gopher. I do understand the constant balancing act. I just think this forum is devolving into a core group of people and friends and that the welcoming attitude towards new people, which was such a major part of the growth and attraction early on...seems to be disappearing. Purely my opinion and worth as much as you paid for it.

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't agree. I hope we are welcoming to new members who have a desire to learn and to contribute. As you said there has been a rash of responding to very old threads. If that was all that was going on and their posts were helpful or informative I would be tickled and anxious to welcome them.

What we are seeing, with a few exceptions, are individuals who troll boards posting inane and generic comments. They offer opinions based on absolutely nothing. They make comments they like or dislike something because the "heard" something from a friend or someone else. They have no personal experience with using a device or an application, but they post what they heard from their best friend's mother's hairdresser who heard it from the FedEx guy who must know what he is talking about because he delivers phones, right?

Tell you what.....I will stop monitoring and commenting or posting anything for awhile. Let the newbies evolve......

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Pretty strong information about how they heard things from people you've neer even met ot conversed with. Sounds like a near zero tolerance for anything other than your own opinion and what you want to read. that's not what really makes for a good moderator. Maybe the owners of the board should chime in.

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Sorry, Bob. Disagree again. Chris owns this board. Also owns Everything BB and iPhone Cafe. I know Steve from other forum, where he moderates as well. Been through quite a bit of crap there.

This forum actually evolved from EverythingQ, where Scott was the moderator. Steve is more than fair. Read the comments and posts for the last couple of weeks. You see people who haven't posted anything suddenly post like an award was being given out. Would be OK if posts made sense. Responding to posts for nonexistent apps? Discontinued OS? Just stupid. Steve knows it.

Log in to a once extremely active forum. I tried the forum for Apex Launcher. Ad after ad. Only way they get by is because moderator isn't scanning for this. Comes in as something that "looks" like a legit "post", but then throws on ads or crap....

Do not stop moderating Steve. Legit posters are here, and people with real questions and comments are out there.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Well aware of the history Sherri. Been around this bunch since EQ (hence EQBob) and as previously mentioned, was on bitnet listservs back in late 80's. IRC, etc. I read lots of stuff out here--just because I don't post on everything doesn't mean I'm not reading. Also, I didn't say Steve wasn't fair, I said I thought he was harsh in his responses. Furthermore, I never said he should stop moderating--that statement came solely from him and I did not respond to it. Finally, I did say that others opinions may vary and yours obviously does.

14. Smita

Smita New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Poor battery life is one of the main issue in Androids. It consumes a lot of battery when I connect it to internet. Hope this tips will work for saving battery life.

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Do try the tips to see if they help. Are you only seeing bad battery life when you connect to the internet? Are you connecting using a WiFi connection or the phone service connection?

16. Brian Lester

Brian Lester New Member

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Fakrul Islam

Fakrul Islam New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Predetermined, together these very same wrinkles, My spouse and i like/use Electrical power Toggles, their generally exactly the same thing however utilizes the ICS/JB layout recommendations.

18. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Google Translate on the fritz? No idea what this even means...

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Huh? :whistle:

20. Peter Carlos

Peter Carlos Guest

We could also use task killers to save battery, what drains down the power of any android device is because of the application running over the background and I have seen that task killers came in a jiffy if you want to fight against it, task killers cleans down the app running over the back ground, but one more thing task killers do consume power but that I would say is a bit less than what a number of apps are trying to take down.

21. deepeng

deepeng Guest

Thanks for share this one ...its clear many issue ...:)