1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Malware...Real or.....

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by stevetaz, Apr 6, 2013.

1. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Back before I even got the first Android phone I kept hearing how the platform was prone to malware and highly likely to be infected. I am now about 18 months in and on my second device and, knock on wood, I have not seen any kind of infection. Our company switched to Androids and with about 200 all over the country I am not aware of any infections. One or two may have happened I don't know about, but I don't think so.

I saw this article today and it makes me wonder if any of our members have had personal experiences with malware. I suppose the more you look for apps and the like to download and try the greater your risk. I download a few apps here and there, but always from what I consider to be reputable sources and never if there isn't already many others that have downloaded before me.

I also do not download pirated music or movies and I know malware is often buried in that crap.

How about you?

2. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I think if you are careful what you download, you should be ok. Don't know anyone who has had an issue, but I have seen some reports on the internet about a few of them.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Would have to say Ditto. Have been on Android for a bunch of years now, several phones, used throughout the agency I work for, etc. Have never heard of an infection. Have heard and Android malware in the wild in an occassional news report. Worst thing my phone ever does is TMZ <G>

5. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I once downloaded icons from the marketplace that is FULL of malware. I had to do a full wipe to fix it. I can give you the app so you can report it if you want but its been a couple years and the icon pack is still up.

Tesla Deathray

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Really still there? I thought Google had made an all-out effort to purge all the crap from the Market/Play Store?

Could that have been an item hijacked and infected, but now corrected? It would be disappointing to find out known problems were not dealt with....

7. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Youd actually be suprised.
    heres the link to the play store who STILL havent taken the app down. *shrug*

Its called Jelly Dream Theme by hazkiel gabriel

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Tried searching the Play Store for Jelly Dream Theme and came up with nothing.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Never mind. Now I found it. Hard to believe, but the biggest complaints seem to be the obtrusive and excessive ads. Guess that could be cionsidered malware. few mentioned their antivirus going nuts too.

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Some antivirus software's for Android said Gmail was spam/malware....so take those with a grain of salt

11. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Well that's the thing, once you download the theme you get an icon installed on your phone. As son as you click on that, that's when the proverbial "hits the fan" chimes into play. Malware in my experience is a bunch of ads that hijack your device leaving you to do nothing but have to reset everything. My experience was that the app disabled my internet explorer and replaced it with something else. I got ad after ad after ad all over my phone no matter what i clicked (opening up my app drawer for gods sake loaded me down with ads) etc. My phone started running slow and would automatically try to log me into my mobile banking and i was NOT about to let that happen! The only thing that would get rid of it was a full wipe since i tried everything else, titanium backup as well as antivirus app (i was desperate)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Wd, were you an early user of that crapware, errrr, app? Just scanning through a few of the reviews and seeing a 3.2 score is enough to tell me I don't want it.

This is one rerason I can never be considered a cutting-edge user or a leader of the pack. I always wait to see some history. I also make sure I discount reviewers who praise all about an app within a short time as I believe many are the developer and/or their friends trying to get the word out.

But hey, call me suspicious.....

13. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I really do not remember if I was early but I dont think I was. See, Ive never been a reader of reviews mostly because its all relative. If I buy an app that says it unlocks my garage door and it does im sure there are 20 other people out there that it doesnt work for but yes i see your point :)

14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I also rarely rush for the 'greatest' new app. And on my phone, I don't do games, etc...anyhow...