1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Operating System But Not A Phone Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by jimt29, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jimt29

jimt29 New Member

Apr 26, 2010

Sponsored Ad

Tablets are available in many different sizes that have wifi but no phone.

Are there any resources at this site to aid in updating an Android 1.5 tablet to 2.x?

I'm brand new here and haven't even seen an Android system as yet.

2. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I saw something on the Ubuntu tablet earlier this evening...let me do some more research and see what I can find :)

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    this is the base setting for how to find updates for your android.

1. Select the following options: Menu -> Settings -> About Device -> Firmware Update
    2. Follow the instruction prompts to complete your Android firmware update.

While I continue to look, specifically what device are you using so I can be more precise.

5. jimt29

jimt29 New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    This is just a general inquiry. I'm exploring the purchase of an android tablet and I'm finding them with Android 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0 so far.

Since I've never actually used one, I'm looking for guidance as to what is possible and what isn't.

Thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate your assistance.

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Updating to the latest version of Android OS is dependent upon Google or the manufacturer. To be on the safe side, I'd alway opt for a device that was running the latest version of the OS. There are Android phones that ship with 1.5 and no sign of 2.1 coming to those anytime soon. It depends heavily on the manufacturer and with phones the carrier.

7. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Ill agree with Chris on this. I havent been able to find any "rooting" of any kind for the tablets...thats not to say it doesnt exist, its just that everyone has been more focused on the phone aspect.