1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Tethering (PdaNet)

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by AndroidN3rd, Mar 29, 2010.

1. AndroidN3rd

Bronze

Nov 20, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I couldn't help but notice that there aren't many posts on tethering-- All credit goes to junefabrics

PdaNet has been one of the most popular software for Windows Mobile phones, Palm OS phones and iPhones. It is now ported to the Android system! PdaNet provides you with FULL Internet access so all your email, instant message programs will work without any setting changes. Supports both USB Tether and Bluetooth DUN.
    PdaNet does NOT require root access or hacking your phone's firmware in order to work. It is just a regular Android application that works on all Android phones as-is. Tethering is fast, secure and USB mode will also charge your phone at the same time. Your phone can either connect to 3G data, WiFi, or even through VPN and PdaNet will share the connection with your computer.

New! Version 2.41 adds an SMS Agent for sending/receiving SMS on Windows.

Version 2.17 fixes ftp, force close/connection drops and Bluetooth DUN. Also supports 64bit Mac and ping.

Version 2.15 add supports for Mac USB Tether.

Download Here

2. AndroidN3rd

Bronze

Nov 20, 2008
    I now use my phone as a WiFi card for my old desktop :dft012:wink And it charges while I'm doing it.. Win!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    If your rooted you can get wifi tether straight from google. My phone is a mobile hot spot now !

5. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
  6. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
  7. AndroidN3rd

Bronze

Nov 20, 2008
    That's cool! =D
    I'm gonna use that now. At Verizon they told me that was only possible with a pre or WM phone. Give it to hackers and everything is possible :dft012:wink

8. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Got A question

I signed up for the free trial of PDANET and was so pleased that I was able to get it up and working with very little difficulty, not much of a computer person. BUT I liked it so much that I paid the money for the full version and they tell you to.

Please enter the above information to unlock the full version of PdaNet using the
    registration window in the PdaNet software.

Not sure how to go about the above instructions. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall and maybe then it would ask for the code for the pay version. otherwise where do I find the registration window thanks ED

9. AndroidN3rd

Bronze

Nov 20, 2008
    I think you need to re install with the full version.. not sure. If I find out I'll let you know.

10. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl New Member

Nov 17, 2009

wow thanks for the quick reply, that tether is going to be great while out camping I have paid far more for the wifi service at some camp grounds. Was also interesting that the phone will charge while it is tethered, that was a concern for a long term power failure and powering up on a generator. ED

11. AndroidN3rd

Bronze

Nov 20, 2008
    Yeah it makes life easier that's for sure. Also if you want to charge your phone while you're not using your laptop a good way to do that is by setting a BIOS password on your laptop and typing it wrong three times then your laptop will just sit idle with no system services running, but will still charge via usb. Only takes like 10% of your laptop battey to get a fully charged phone.. where as if you were logged in to your computer it will take a ton of battery to get a full charge. :)

12. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I think what they mean is ... From your start menu on the PC is how I did it back in my Q9c days.

13. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I bought the full version last night while tethered. The register screen was on my computer. No re-installation needed. It asks for a serial number but the email gives you a code. Same thing. Type it in and it just starts working. I had run out the trial. I could tell that https had been turned back on.

14. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    wifi tether for rooted phones is the way to go tho ... No software needed. Just hook up and go.

My boy is online with his psp while in the car !!!

15. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I upgraded to the leaked 2.1 two days before root was achieved. Doh! Still waiting for a way to downgrade or root 2.1.

16. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I think the guys are flashing back to 2.0.1 through SBF. My Droid World has the files needed. I am not that savvy. But I read enough to know not to do the update. And from the sounds of things ... I made the right decision. When you root and load a rom ... What ever was on the phone prior, has no impact on performance of the rom you load.
    If you want to try sbf I can find the links for you if needed.

17. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Wrong phone. I'm on the Eris.

Interesting note on PDANet. Swype doesn't work while I'm tethered. The stock keyboard does. Pretty cool that texts show up on my computer while I'm tethered. Bet WiFi Tether doesn't do that.

18. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Oops my bad ... and I knew that !!! :022:unsure

19. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Does WiFi Tether do this?

Attached Files:

20. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    No it just enables it to be a hot spot to any device with wifi ...

21. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Just thought I'd weigh in here.... Used PDAnet (free) on a road trip a few weeks back and it worked flawlessly. My only worry is that after a bit of use, my Droid began to physically heat up... almost to the point where it was too hot to hold. I was actually kinda worried, so I shut it down.

Just something to keep an eye on. Other than that, PDAnet is one of my favorite apps on Android hands down.