1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Android's Factory Reset - Security for Selling Your Device? Maybe Not So Much....

Discussion in 'Archive' started by stevetaz, May 27, 2015.

1. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

A recent article over at Verge.com indicates that doing a factory reset does not offer the security of our data that we thought it might. I know I have always been taught to make sure I "wipe" any device I planned to sell or give away or even return to the provider as a trade and a factory reset was the best way to accomplish a true wipe.

Before you start to panic that text messages you sent to your Aunt Millie might be read by Edward Snowden, the article also offers a fairly simple solution to the problem:
    • Encrypt the data on your phone before you get rid of it
    Sometimes the simplest solution is the least obvious. However, this situation has to make you a bit concerned with the "experts" who created the Android OS....Doesn't it?

2. rosario1990

Bronze

Feb 1, 2015
    Most valuable info.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Samstuart

Samstuart New Member

Sep 28, 2015
  5. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Yes, of course, you need to perform a Hard Reset, before selling your device.