1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Any iPhone users switch to the Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bass_lover1, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009

Sponsored Ad

So here I am, about 6 months into my 2 year with ATT, using a 3GS.

I like the 3GS, for what it is, it just works and pretty well at that. My biggest gripe is with Apple, and their iron fist they have over it, and what I can use on it.

I have good service with ATT, usually 4-5 bars of 3G signal, but call quality is pretty meh, though internet speeds around me are quick, (2.2mb/s DL speeds).

Are there any iPhone users (doesn't matter which version) that switched to a Droid? What are your thoughts on the two?

I get a good discount through my company on Verizon, so I'd be paying about 10 bucks less a month, plus I can sell my 3GS for a good price and break even during the switch, or even make a bit of cash.

Thoughts?

2. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    I can't say I know anyone who's switched from iPhone to Droid, however, I can say that the iPhone users I have shown it to really liked it and would be interested in switching, except that they're in a similar situation to you, as far as the whole contract thing is concerned...

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    One of my buddies was saying that if he didnt have a jailbroken iphone that he would def switch over to the droid, beacuse he feels the iphone without being jailbroken is like a little kids toy with games and such on it and not a real smartphone :dft010:big_smile
    Hearing that from an iPhone user completely made my day that day.

5. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I played with it for about 10 minutes at the Verizon store the other day, I really liked it. Of course there will be a learning curve, but otherwise found it very simple to use.

I'm not really concerned with the contract though. Unlocked and Jailbroken 3GSes sell for 500+ on eBay, which would easily cover the ETF and handset price, plus leave me with a bit of leftover cash.

What I'm mostly concerned about is, can I live with it on a daily basis once the "new toy" feel goes away.

6. DroidRobot12

Bronze

Nov 13, 2009
    My roommate had the iphone and switched to the droid after I got it in the mail. He loved it so much it ported his phone #. I also did research for about 1 month before I made my purchase. I was only going with the droid or iphone and from everything I read the droid seems to be the better option. I've had it for 1 week and I can't believe how happy with it I am....between the customer service, the quality of cell service, & the abilities of the phone....it's hard to find a phone better than this one. I hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!

7. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Well...

I just hit the "confirm order" for a brand spankin new Droid!

:D

I opted to port my number over, hopefully the process wont take long, and I'll have it bright and early Thursday morning.

8. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    I understand the thought process as I have pondered this myself, but honestly, with all that the Droid, Google, and Marketplace have to offer, I'm not sure that feeling will go away... lol

And congrats on your purchase! =)

9. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Yes congrats on your purshase i believe you will be a very happy person once it arrives, i do warn you however it will take up about half your life :dft012:wink just from playing with it and learning new things.

10. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I have had it since launch and still really enjoy it. The 'new toy' feeling usually only lasts a couple days for me until I get bored again but with the market place I feel like I am always finding new things to play with. I really like it, but I also came from WinMo which is still stuck in the late '90s as far as tech goes.

11. alant40

alant40 New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I switched from a jailbroken unlocked 3GS to the Droid. Why you ask, well pull up a chair..For one, 90% of my friends and family are on Verizon. When I left Verizon because the Storm basically sucked, I wanted an IPhone but didn't want the network. I live in NY and the dropped calls were just to much. Also by comparison the 3G networks don't compare. I loaded up an episode of CSI on TV.Com on both devices in my home. The Droid was actually playing the episode while the IPhone was still "loading video". If the Iphone was on Verizon, that would have suited me fine. For me it was a choice of networks. I'll get plenty on Ebay for my jailbroke and unlocked Iphone to cover the ETF and the cost of the phone. :dft012:wink

12. alant40

alant40 New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I ported over my number also from AT&T. Verizon said it could take up to 4 hours to complete. It took all of 15 minutes before I got a text saying your port is complete...:dft010:big_smile

13. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    The 'new toy' feeling took a long while to wear off with the iPhone, I had an original and a 3GS for a combined time of close to a year. For me, that is a really long time to have a phone. I didn't really get bored of the iPhone, but Apple's policies are annoying, and even on the 3GS when jailbroken, it doesn't feel quite the same as stock, and that bothers me.

Honestly, the only reason I considered this swap, is because of how much a JB and unlocked 3GS sells for on eBay ($500+), if it didn't I wouldn't have done the swap.

ATT by me is fine (not a lot of users, especially heavy 3G usage), I get really good d/l rates at 2.2mb/s pretty consistently. Though the phone portion of the iPhone is probably the worst part, poor quality. I hear that the Droid is great for quality, plus 10 bucks cheaper a month will be nice as well, it isn't much but 10 bucks is 10 bucks.

PS: My Droid will be here tomorrow no later than 3PM, I love free overnight shipping.

14. alant40

alant40 New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    The sound and call quality on the Droid is awesome. I can remember back in the day when Motorola was king with the first flip phones that their call quality was always excellent. You won't be disappointed...

15. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Got my Droid in about 25 minutes ago, can't stop playing with it :dft010:big_smile

One thing just struck me, and the biggest reason I wont miss my iPhone.

I was setting up Pandora, logged into my account and picked a station. My music started playing, and I decided to go back to the Market and find some more apps. Low and behold, Pandora keeps playing!

Such a tiny feature, that makes a huge difference IMO.

16. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I agree, how anyone used a phone with no multitasking is beyond me. I was never an iPhone user so maybe I don't get it but no multitasking seems to be like a deal breaker! ~Tina Fey

17. alant40

alant40 New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    There's also a app called Handcent SMS. It's a texting and MMS program that is completely customizable right down to how many times the phone will vibrate when you get a text. And you can speak your text message. And it's free! Also check out Ahome and there themes. Ahome is 3.99 but the themes are free. Makes the phone in my opinion. This is the kind of stuff you can't do with an Iphone unless it's jail broken. And quite frankly, I don't like the idea of waiting for a jailbreak every time Apple updates the software. I'm finding more stuff every day..:dft012:wink

18. macmongrel

macmongrel New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    This may be interesting but after having every iPhone since the first one to hit the stage...i have just made the switch from my iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S 2! It is definitely taking some time to feel my way around android...but even with the anticipated iPhone 5 The specs of the Samsung phone are what drew me to switch. There are a few features I miss....like visual voicemail etc. but so far nothing thats is a deal breaker. I would like to see a Hulu app for my android though...but i believe that should be coming. Also, My calls are not getting dropped every 2 seconds like they were on AT&T now...We'll have to see how this new relationship goes.

19. macmongrel

macmongrel New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I switched...

20. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Welcome, macmongrel! At the time he said he didn't know many people who switched from iPhone to Android, which was true! In the time this thread started, many have switched! You wont regret it!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

21. macmongrel

macmongrel New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Yeah- hah i guess i didny noticd thag post was 2 years ago!! Haha, and j havent seen a reasin to switch unyil now, i love it so far though!