1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gotten 2.2 for Moto Droid yet?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by darkdomino, Aug 3, 2010.

1. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jun 2, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I'm read on sunday that this week was going to be the big day for android 2.2 on the moto droid. From what I understand, we're going to get it before the Droid X folks do... which is very unusual, but I'm not complaining.

Needless to say I'm disappointed that mobile hotspot was stripped out, but I'm not really all that surprised. I guess Verizon had to draw the line somewhere with Android, and I guess we all know where that "somewhere" is now.

2. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Just found out and I'm extremely upset about that. I was willing to pay an extra "hotspot" fee...

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/02/droid-tethering/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+androidguyscom+%28AndroidGuys%29

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android app

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    if you lost root, just wait for new root to be released and then download the hotspot app from code.google.com

5. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Not sure what you meant Scott...wait for 2.2 rooting?

I haven't rooted, ever. I haven't received OTA 2.2 yet, which I've been waiting for to use wifi hotspot, but leave it to VZW to kill that idea.

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    If you rooted your 2.1 Droid you could download an apk file to turn your Droid into a WiFi hotspot no need for Verizon.

What I don't know is if you are rooted and download the official OTA (I made a thread about how to get it manually) if you will loose root if you do you can wait for it to get rooted and then reinstall the hotspot apk Or root with 2.1 and sit tight for the official 2.2 to get rooted.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android app

7. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Thanks for clearing up, I read it right the first time, lol.

I've been without the hotspot for this long, I'll just DL the OTA and wait until official 2.2 root is available and/or get the guts to root at all.

8. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Now days you can flash sprecovery with RSDlite and there is also a rooted official OTA rom out there to load up.

9. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Engadget is saying that Verizon has pulled the trigger on the 2.2 update for Moto Droid, and that it's "trickling down" ... I guess that means they're doing it in batches. Nothing so far on my Droid though :(

oh and a heads up... if you're worried about losing root when you update, "Easy Root" has been patched to work with Android 2.2 ... it was pulled off the market a few days ago, but you can buy it straight from the developer via paypal. I was lucky enough to snag it before they got rid of it on the marketplace.

10. Peregrine

Peregrine New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Second EASY ROOT. Also installed ROM MANAGER. Supposedly that will keep OTA from unrooting me.
    We will see.

11. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I've been investigating "Easy root" myself, which I'll ultimately end up buying...still waiting for Froyo.

I have a question, if I do "Easy root", will I only need an app like "Barnacle" to wifi tether? Or will I have to use a custom ROM and/or kernel?

Wifi tether is the main reason I would like to root, not really interested in overclocking, themes, etc..