1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried Google Latitude?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Eugene, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I turned it on to see what it would do. I enabled history and it keeps saying im in CA every so often. Then other times it puts me in places near where I'm at, I'm guessing maybe the GPS is off then so it puts me at the closest cell tower?

2. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    I use it all the time and it is dead on. However it only keeps you actual fix location when the screen is active. Reason being is as soon as the screen turns off maps goes idle and the GPS is not transmitting it in real time still. So once that happens and your latitude refreshes yes it does in fact tag your location to the closest cell tower.

Good way to test if if you want is to grab Keep Screen from the market. The app allows you to choose what programs to keep the screen on for. So set it to leave maps on and then fire up maps and try latitude. you then should see you location dead on and as you move it will update and every so often refresh back to latitude so you can see it on a come or share with friends or family.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    My girlfriend and I also use it. When I go on work trips she can see where I am on the my way home. It works really well for me also.

5. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    That makes some sense then as to why it always puts me in a couple diffderent places around me, must be towers there. That doesn't explain the entries(turn on history) in CA

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    was is San Fransisco? that's where the google map people work. if you notice the very first time you ever run google maps on a phone on the very first install or when you first get the phone, it shows you San Fransisco. that's why. it's possible that for some reason it just thought you were there. that's the best explanation i can come up with and i could be completely wrong.

7. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    where are you finding "turn on history"? i can't find it in gmaps. i wanted to see if i've ever been to CA.

8. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Its in Google latitude, you have to go to the bottom of the page for more services, then turn history on. It said I was in CA again this morning.

9. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i still don't see where you're talking about. can you give me step by step instructions on how to get to the history?

10. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    "GPS" in the Droid (or any other "GPS" device) is a receiver; there's no transmitter. The sats are the transmitters.

11. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    ^^^^fyi you may not be seeing it if you are running a different version of Maps. Google has released 2 updates since the droid was released. And if I'm not mistaken version 3.3.0 just got released in the last 48 hrs

12. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    www.google.com, sign if your not already.

go to "my account" then google latitude, that will take you to http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html but you will be signed in.

now at the bottom left "Do more with your Latitude location"

then "Google Location History"

down to settings and enable

then "View and manage your History" to the right will take you to https://www.google.com/latitude/apps/history/view

Mine has been keeping history for a couple days now and I have locations all over within a couple mile radius of my home/work, places I've not been to so it must be the cell towers there.

I just turned off the "use wireless networks for location" under the phone settings, I'm hoping maybe that will make it not log any location unless I use maps/gps

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    well, technically it is transmitting the location through the data connection.

i have 3.3.0. i just updated it yesterday.

14. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I instaled 3.2 and 3.3 when they were available.

Seems to be some prob now, the map is blank, won't download any more data, says the connection times out, but the web browser works so I know data is getting through.

15. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    jesus, eugene, you could have mentioned that you meant the website and not the phone itself. i've just spent the last 2 hours looking everywhere for the "history" in the gmaps app thinking i was either blind or stupid.

i'm assuming that in order for it record a history it has to be enabled. i just enabled it and apparently i don't have a history. lol. i don't exist!

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i wonder if that has something to do with you turning off updating through towers?

17. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    Well obviuously, but that wasn't my point in all honesty. The point was when the screen goes out it no longer is using GPS to track you for an actual fix location

18. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I just turned that setting off, noticed the missing map data issue starting around 11:30 when I was out picking up lunch.

19. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    so it was just hungry?

20. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Dunno, maybe so, I went into maps and let it sit there and eventually the map came.

21. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007