1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried Google Latitude?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Eugene, Dec 7, 2009.

1. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I installed the update on sat morning and than later on sat it took forever for google maps to load up at all and none of my texts were going through to anyone i tried sending them to and it kept freezing up, i uninstalled the update and than was able to do everything perfectly again. the upgrade def effected my droid i dont need an update that provides no extra usefulness if its going to slow down my device.

on a side note i too use google latitude with my family just so we have an idea as to where people are here and there sometimes my parents are lost somewhere and their garmin stinks and cant find them so i just find them on google maps and direct them home :)

2. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    The update sat was 3.2, the 3.3 update didn't come out until last night, makes me think there was a known issue in sat's so they had to put a fix in monday.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Do you notice any big differences/features in that upgrade? Trying to figure out if its worth upgrading or not since the original maps that comes on the droid is great for me :dft003:cool

5. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    They added the terrain view, that was a nice plus for me, I prefer that view.

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i just updated gmaps to 3.3.1

7. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    no fair,I'm only at 3.3.0

8. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    So far Latitude hasn't put me in CA anymore so I'm wondering if that was due to the problems google had with their servers. Its still not very accurate, bounching around to different towers around me.

9. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    It does that when you first load it up at least it does it to me when i first boot it up because it still has you "cached" from a previous spot and now that you are in a new spot its just updating the tower.

10. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    There is an app called Glympse ... it let's you send an invite to someone and set the time limit they are allowed to watch you !!!
    Then they can watch you travel on a map in real time. Also show your speed names of roads your on... everything its a great app.

11. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Does seem pretty cool only thing that google maps has on it is the fact that you cant use it on a crackberry, google maps you can use on all phones.

12. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    It wasn;t caching my previous location though, it was putting me on the other side of the country.

13. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I bought the car dock and used it this weekend and latitude did a lot better, with the phone in the car dock it seems to turn on and leave the gps running even when I switch tasks so it kept a good record. I also have the location by cell tower disabled so it doesn't show me a couple miles off the road at the nearest cell tower anymore.
    I also learned that verizon's coverage maps are very accurate, when i crossed the state line where their map goes from red to white (no coverage) it wasn't a minute later that the phone dropped data. Bad thing is half the state where my parents live is a white area.

14. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    are you sure you just don't have teleporting abilities?

yeah, google maps is great when you're connected to the cloud. not so much if you're in a white state.

15. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    That's why I can't go 100% to data in the cloud, I ist gcaldaemon on my laptop to keep my calendar there

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    dude, i live in rural maine and even i can live in the cloud.

17. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    My problem is that coverage area in WV. My parents live there and eventually I'll inherit the farm. They used to have a little cabin there but tore it down after a roof leak and I told them they should have told me as I would have rebuilt it. So I've been trying to get them for years to let me build a cabin there and when they wouldn't let me I went and bought an old camper so I can stay for a week then take it with me. But eventually want to make it sort of a vacation home, little cabin where we can stay a couple weeks or so out of the year. But Verizon is about the only company that can even get voice coverage and while I do get a data signal its roaming so I;d have to pay extra. There are no other options for internet, phone lines are so bad you can't get better than a 24k dial up.

Look at the coverage map http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?market=all for 3g at the link near the bottom of the page you can see the upper half of WV and even the western half of MD are in white. The southwestern corner of PA is red, I had coverage there, then crossing the state line into WV I could still see the line in my rear mirror and the signal dropped due to roaming. If there was anything like the americas choice that would cover data roaming I could consider that.

18. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, i'm somewhat familiar with that area. i have friends and family in morgantown, wv and i used to work for us cellular. you're probably roaming off their towers, but the bad news it that they don't even have 3g coverage in that area. in fact they barely have service there at all. i'm surprised you even get any kind of a signal. unfortunately you don't really have any options. other than a satellite phone or smoke signals.

19. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Or enable data roam and pay the charges. My mother is thinking about getting satellite internet so I may just buy a linksys wireless router and put in her house so at least I won't have to use their PC :)

20. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    unfortunately even if you did that, it wouldn't be 3g speed.

do you know if satellite internet still has poor upload speed?

21. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Something would be better than nothing. Since we've been driving back and forth for over 15 years now its getting boring so last time I went down 79 south and across to 77 and back up just to take a different route. We've been doing that a bit now, stopping at different places along the way and exploring. My Garmin will give show interesting places but then we have to find out if they are open or not which is where some kind of internet connection will come in handy.

Here are the two points in WV where the data got through. I wonder, if the towers in WV were all roaming, it must have been able to talk to a tower in PA.

I've noticed that there looks to be an antenna connector under the battery cover, wonder if I add an external antenna if I could talk to some more towers up in PA.

Attached Files: