1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried Google Latitude?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Eugene, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009

Sponsored Ad

getting an external antennae is certainly a good idea. that is an external port under the battery cover. the moto razr had the same port and you could plug an antennae into it.

is it possible you were just driving on the tops of mountains when you got data? i know how hilly it is there.

2. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Could have been, I wish I had one of those apps running that saved the gpx logs so I could see the altitude at those locations. I had my garmin running so I have the log from it, If I could overlay the two I could probably match them up (I didn't sync the clocks on them)

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    another option would be move to a more populated area. that's what i'm doing. :dft010:big_smile

(j/k, i know you have history with that area and with the property (wife's?) parents have.)

5. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    My parents, the farm is actually on one of the higher points in Preston county.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/eugenenine/ Some pics from our 2008 camping trip, you can see the mountains in the background. They are about 1/2 way between Terra Alta and Rowlesburg. I get plenty of signal strength on top of the mountain, if there were some way I could pay for a non data roam package or get a plan with whatever carrier is there that would allow me to have the droid use their data too.

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    wow, looks beautiful.

us cellular is there, but they won't have 3g data speed and wouldn't be able let you use your droid.

7. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    must be CDMA. But then the other option is to see if I can get an external antenna and hit a verizon tower in PA. I wonder if there is a tower location map someplace.

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, us cellular is cdma. i know a razr with an external antennae can sometimes get over a full watt of power, which is really good for a cdma cell phone now a days. i bet bet the droid would get close to that. just be careful connecting and disconnecting the antennae. i've had to repair a bunch of those ports on razrs before. you probably won't be able to find any maps of where towers are. towers are usually built on private property that the carriers pay to lease so they keep that info pretty locked up because they have to legally.

9. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    well, I was commenting on a thread on howard forums and someone there said there is no data roaming in the US, its just for Canada and Mexico, so I sent a text to the Verizon salesman who sold me my droid and he confirmed so I enabled data roam and will test it next trip.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    how much of an extra charge is that?

11. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    No extra in the US, only Mexico or Canada.

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    ooohhhhh, that's nice.

13. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    If i do get charged, I have a note from a verizon employee saying I don't :)

14. Milk With Pulp

Milk With Pulp New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    In the maps, you can add friends, do they need to be other droid users for it to show their location?

I did not get all the detail reading around, I would like to know who and which friends I am able to invite, if iphones are able to be added etc.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    anyone can add anyone as long as they invite them and have signed up for latitude
    can be windows mobile, android, iphone as along as its a google account...i havent tried it with any other email addresses

16. Milk With Pulp

Milk With Pulp New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I am going to invite a few friends and see if this will work with a few buddies, I and most of my friends were on Iphone 3g/3gs.

I will see what I can do, how it works and everything. I will try to get more data on it.

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    just send them an invite
    they accept it
    you view them on a map

18. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Anyone that can use Latitude, be it an app or on the web page.

You can use it from a laptop, just updating your location manually.

19. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Similar thread on another forum http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/31130-broadcast-my-location.html#post233112

Someone mentioned they thought it was a bad idea for me to turn off aGPS but the screenshot I put there shows that the aGPS data is so bad its worse than no data at all because there are so many buildings in that area and its throwing my location way off someplace else that I'd never be found, espically if they are starting in the wrong area.

Although my guess would be a 911 call would override that setting and transmit aGPS info anyway.