1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

apps that start on their own.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by slumlord, Nov 10, 2009.

1. slumlord

slumlord New Member

Oct 17, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I use advanced app killer and while the app does a great job it's somewhat troubling to see the amount of apps that start on their own.

I can only assume that with that many apps running it's slowing down the phone and using more battery power. Is there a way to prevent all these different apps from starting?

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Here is one program i found for this

http://fr.androlib.com/android.application.com-vesperanovus-app-startupauditor-qDxn.aspx

Its based it looks like out of france, however seems to all be in english. i personally didnt try it out so its on you if you wanna try it, dunno if its worth the money id rather just end the tasks :)

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i read a few articles about it and came to this conclusion: apps seem to have three states. started, running, active. i'm making these terms up to illustrate. a started app, like most of them, is just a app that is set to start when the phone is turned on. things like keyboard, messaging, gmail, calendars. running apps are apps that have started and they are running, but they are not draining resources. they are sort of in a standby mode waiting to act when something triggers them. active apps are those that are running and are using resources to do something. like gmail when it's getting messages, or if you're running a particular app at that moment. i've found that usually only about 2 - 4 apps on my phone are active at once. they are usually twidroid, facebook, caldendar, and sometimes gmail.

there's a lot of debate on weather task managers are even good for android phones. here are my thoughts and what i'm experimenting with right now.

i run taskiller, but i only really use it when i want to turn off an app that i've just used. like if i use the camera, or the market place. when i'm done i kill the app. but i usually leave everything that started on. you'll find that sometimes you'll kill an app and it will start back up without you using it. that's probably because android needs it to run. i have over 40 apps installed not counting the ones that came on the phone. i run a lot of apps in the background like twidroid, facebook, gmail, calendar, the weather channel, and my battery life isn't that bad.

so to sum this ridiculously long post up. do some research and decide how you want to approach.

5. blazinazn

blazinazn New Member

May 8, 2007
    I have a Samsung Moment with 1.5 and see this issue. Kinda disheartening to see this still happens with 2.0. I don't really understand why camera, sprint navigation, instant messenger, etc, etc need to be running, idle or not, unless I'm using them. When I close an app, I would hope that it would stay closed.

Surely you don't see a huge enough difference in opening a program if it's cached or not for it to matter. It may make a 3-5 second difference but could be detrimental to the battery life.

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    there's very minimal performance loss on the droid from running a lot of apps. and i honestly don't believe it affects the battery life unless the apps are using bluetooth, wifi, or 3G connection. also, android 2.0 has a built in app manager. it's just buried in the settings.

7. blackmeto

blackmeto New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    #6 blackmeto, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    #7 dragonfly, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  9. Micah Ortega

Micah Ortega New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    why do you even have to get an app to turn off apps or to keep them from starting on their own? Seems kind of counter intuitive. And mad jester, it absolutely drains your battery having apps running in the background. When I got my droid it would kick on apps in the background throughout the day. I'd unplug my phone around 8:30 am and by 3pm it would be dead or close to it. Without apps running in the background my battery lasts till about midnight. I have no idea how I stopped the apps from turning on on their own. I just was diligent shutting them down around every hour or so. Then they stopped turning on. It might have something to do with me having to wipe my phone 5 times in the 5 months that I've owned it. I honestly can't wait till my 2 years expires. I got this thing because my work needed me to have 24/7 access to email etc.. I jumped the gun and didn't wait for an iphone. I'm kicking myself now because instead of having to figure out how to stop apps from starting up on my wifes droid I could have gotten an iphone and been leaving the house right now to go out for dinner.

10. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Sell the thing and use the funds to get an iPhone :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

11. fandroid_gal

fandroid_gal New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I saw a program called "Locale AutoKill" it seems to have a high rating, but for $1.99 I'm not sure. I can't find any written reviews.