1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

AT&T Opted Out of Moto's Android Plan (link)

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by jhalsey205, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
  2. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Are you holding out for Android and what do you know about Exchange Server functionality with it?

I think Verizon and Motorola are thinking payback on these new phones, or at least I hope they have that thinking going on.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    I am very curious to see how Moto's deployment of android plays out. A few thing have me leaning towards HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile 6.1, followed soon after by WM 6.5):
    • the lack of any material information on Motorola's Android devices (that said, specs are published as are basic images, but no one has handled)
    • more importantly, the lack of info on Moto's version of the Android UI
    • when comparing Touch Flo and Sense (HTC's custom tweaking of Windows Mobile and Android respectively), it appears the Windows Mobile offering to be a bit more mature. My guess, Android has another good year worth of maturing
    • more Windows Mobile applications (particularly for enterprise/business users)
    • The development community around HTC Windows Mobile devices appears active, spinning out custom tweaks and enhancements to satisfy my "geek" curiosity
    • Timing also plays a big part. The TP2 is rumored to be out in a couple of weeks. Moto is announcing their Android devices in Oct; I suspect it will take another month or 2 for the carriers (VZN) to make available. Now, if the TP2 is delayed and its launch is close to the Moto/Android device(s), I might be more inclined to wait for both to be in the market and compare head to head.

As for MS Exchange - I know the Android OS supports it. No doubt Moto's version of the OS will as well, but I have to believe that a Windows Mobile device will do so more comprehensively. I am running Office 2010 Tech Preview, tied to Exchange 2007 and am very pleased. I hear great things about Exchange 2010.

John

5. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, me too regarding Exchange 2010. I need to jump up now. The new Pocket Outlook needs at least Server 2007 to run I see http://www.everythingwm.com/forum/software/new-version-of-pocket-outlook-35830.html

You ought to be more comfortable with Motorola after this big event on September 10th. I tried the Ozone and although impressed with the speed and lightweight feel compared to the heavy Nap, it appears that the wait for Verizon / Motorola is going to be worth it.

Getting a new phone with years old WM 6.1 after all the holdbacks on 6.5 and now the promises of Windows Mobile 7 always around the corner, and never delivering makes Android something I want to follow closely.

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I'm not sure it's clear why AT&T hasn't shown any interest in Android. All signs point to a webOS device later this year, so it's not a reluctance to support a new OS.

I don't read much into their Moto rejection. I'm sure HTC has been knocking on AT&T's door for months and they haven't been able to get them to pick up an Android device.

I'm curious to see what they've done with Android. Apps? GUI? HTC's been doing great things with Sense UI, so the bar is officially raised.

So, Sholes and Morrison on the 10th? I'm interested in Sholes, but I still would love to see a high end front facing QWERTY with a high resolution touch screen.

7. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    It appears that the Sholes may be a front facing widescreed beast, I do know what you mean though. The key buttons look to be about twice the size as the Q has now and for me that will mean speed. If they do it right, the browser will be bigger and better than anything else out there too.

8. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

I meant a non-slider. Same form factor as BlackBerry, Q9 series, but with a touch-screen. I'm thinking a BlackBerry Bold form factor, with Android/webOS touch screen.

9. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, I did say I understood what you meant. Here is the thing, and I know it is clearly a preference issue, but the screen size is so tiny on the Q and others with that form factor, and my thinking is that most people are going to be paying for data. Since that data is going to have more bandwidth - EvDO Rev A, (soon LTE), 3G whatever, they want to get their money's worth by pumping that into a larger display. Like I have shelved my Krave which has awesome resolution but it is so tiny and the old Q factor is about the same size.

Clearly there will continue to be demand for the older form factor, but I predict a trend toward making the smartphone key and display size easier on the eyes and faster to use, more like a PC.

10. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Agree - I think that form factor is hard to beat.

11. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, John, I hear you, but just for fun...

Imagine having a device about 2mm thicker with a 300% larger display, same weight, and you don't have to tap 1/4" keys with your fingernails and you can open XLS files and see 10 columns wide instead of two.

Interested? I am going to see our friend tomorrow as I head home from Albany...

12. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Dammit man ... yes I am interested.