1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Automation software

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, May 17, 2013.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

There are a couple of automation apps like tasker ( and one who's name escapes me but is all initials for a long phrase).

I would like to know if people are using them, their experiences, what they use them for to automate, etc.

What are the apps to do this? How do they work? Can you build simple actions with them? Tasker seems to be popular but I've read reviews that it is very complicated.

What are some of the real clever uses for automation? What would you like to automate if you had a chance?

Very interested in this topic.

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I have used PhoneWeaver since it was in beta stages. I use it more for settings than anything else. For example, when I get into the car I plug the phone into the car adapter, and it goes to "car" mode. GPS turns on, notification sounds turn off.

Have a "location" setting for gym, so when I enter gym, notification sounds stop. Pretty much standard stuff. Use "time" mode for quiet times.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    List of alternatives to Tasker here.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Tasker includes 190 built-in actions and it is an interesting list. Looks like some are only if rooted. Here are the highlights:
    There are currently more than 190 built-in actions available in 14 categories.
    Alert: Flash, Menu, Notify LED/Sound/Vibrate, Cancel Notification, Popup Timed/WithTaskButtons, Set Light (LEDs,camera,keyboard,buttons etc root only), Torch, Vibrate, Vibrate Pattern
    App: Calendar Insert, Go Home, Kill App, Load App, Open Map (/StreetView/Navigate), Set Alarm
    Audio: Alarm/Call/DTMF/Media/Notification/Ringer/System Volume, Haptic Feedback Toggle, Microphone Mute, Notification Pulse, Notification/Ringer Vibrate, Silent Mode, Speakerphone, Sound Effects toggle
    Display: Auto-Brightness, Car Mode, Close System Dialogs, Keyguard, Keyguard Pattern, Night Mode, Display Brightness, Display Off Timeout, Display Rotation, Set Wallpaper, Stay On, Status Bar (expand/collapse)
    Encrypt (not in market version): File/Directory Encrypt/Decrypt,Enter/Set/Clear Passphrase
    File: Browse Files, Directory Create/Delete/Move, File Copy/Delete/Move/Open, List Files, Write To File, Read Line, Read Paragraph, Remount (FS), Zip/Unzip File
    Input: Button, Dpad, Type (root only), Get Voice, Input Method Select, Soft Keyboard (show), Voice Command
    Media: Media Button Events (grab), Media Player Control, Music File/Dir, Play/Forward/Back/Stop, Photo/Series/TimeSeries, Record Audio, Record Audio Stop, Default Ringtone, Play Ringtone, Scan Card
    Misc: (Broadcast) Action Intent, Component Intent, Get Location, GPS Set (<2.3 or Cyanogen/submod), Run (SL4A) Script, Run Shell, Say, Say To File, Shut Up, Search For, Set Clipboard, Reboot (root only), Set CPU (root only) Set Timezone, Test

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I agree. Interesting list of things to play with. The second part of the question may be even more important in that'd like to know what people are actually doing with their installs. Sherri provided some concrete examples. I'm just having a hard time conceptualizing a series of actions that I'd like to automate based on a trigger.

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeah....my ROM does most of that, but Phone Weaver fills in. So Mke people say that with newer Android OS, the" profiles' handles that, but I didn't find that to be true.

I like the "location" feature. I work about a mile from home, but I narrowed down location to 50 feet. When i enter my schools parking lot, phone goes into" work" mode. Notification sounds off. Led notifications on. Color coded thanks to Light Flow. Ringer on vibrate....When I leave campus for lunch, reverts to "daytime" mode.

Not much else automated....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I use Phoneweaver too.

I have a few profiles setup

Most are Time based, ie;
    Night Time: All sounds turn off at 10:30pm
    Work: Notification sounds turn off at 9am
    Weekend: Sounds turn on at 10am
    Afterwork: Sounds turn back on at 5:30pm

They all have either wifi on, gps on depending on the profile

Then I have a connection based setup
    When my AUX cable in my car is plugged in, my wifi goes off, google music comes on

Then I have manual ones
    Airplane mode
    Car GPS
    Golf GPS

9. Olivia50

Bronze

Sep 18, 2013
    Thanks everyone for sharing their informations.... Keep sharing and updating.

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    So would people still recommend Phone Weaver? I want to do a meeting profile which will turn down all my notification sounds (the Note3 has 4 categories) and just have a very simple way to switch between regular and meeting mode. Right now it's taking 6 swipes per time and while that's not horrendous, if I can automate that to 1 or 2 taps/swipes, I might save a few seconds a day <G> Actually, with the number of meetings I have, it could be more than that <G>...lol

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I do NOT however want a launcher...so if Phone Weaver is a launcher, I'm not interested...

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Phone Weaver is definitely NOT a launcher. Using it since beta testing. Highly recommend it. Many use Tasker or something else, but for me, Phone Weaver is "set it and forget it".

Pretty simple, which is what I need.

13. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Why 6 swipes? In Phone Weaver, make a profile called "meetings". Set it to "manual", unless you prefer something else.

You may, for example, want it based on "location", so if you enter a certain area (geographically based), it sets to your options. Meetings: phone (vibrate) /notifications (silent) /. (Or however you want it...)

If set to manual : When you get to meeting, swipe down on notification bar. Tap the current phone Weaver setting. Phone Weaver options open. Tap "meeting". Done.

If it is "location based", set it up once. Go to location spot (of meeting). Phone switches to "meeting" profile. When you leave meeting location, Phone reverts to whatever you had before.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Llama has a MUCH higher rating....Take a look....

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Sherri-6 swipes because I've been doing everything manual. So twp volume to bring that up, then adjust manually all 4 volume controls then either tap off or let it fade by itself. So 5 or 6 swipes/taps.

16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I did download the free 12 day trial and while initially I didn't like it, because the default profiles did not affect all of the 4 volume controls, that dislike lasted less than 5 minutes because I quickly figured out how to edit the profile and address the desired volume level across the 4 controls. Was able to very quickly mod mute, day, and meeting to desired levels. Comfy with mute being a tap turn on and day night being time triggers. My wife will certainly appreciate it because I have multiple sever process that kick off starting 5 am every day and I get the email results. So time trigger to reduce volume instead of me remembering will be nice.

17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Which one did you install?

18. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Phoneweaver 12 day free trial.

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Curious if you even looked at Llama.....

20. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    The recommendation for Llama cam in after I had installed already Phone Weaver. I'm keeping that recommendation in the back pocket if PW turns out not to do what I want it to do, which is pretty simple.