1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup and Restore

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Alkali, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010

Sponsored Ad

Hi my dear friends,
    Been so long but I am back! I noticed with my new phone SGN there is Google backup and restore which works behind the scene but I want to know is can I restore in a new phone say HTC One X or whichever runs ics? Thanks very much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Not quite understanding, Alkali...What exactly do you want to do?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    You see in my new Samsung Galaxy nexus there is inbuilt backup and restore feature that works automatically, my Q is if I were to but another phone( say HTC one x) can I restore my settings and applications in a totally new phone since they are all running ice cream sandwich?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Not exactly.
    It will restore your apps from the market, but not with the data of saved games and what not.

Use Titanium Backup for that.

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Scott, Alkali isn't "rooted".

However, this method looks like it saves all data from the Samsung Galaxy (which he does have). According to the article, it stores data on pc and then can be restored to another phone as long as it is running 4.0...

Alkali, hope you are well. These steps seem "cumbersome", but it is "step-by-step", so it shouldn't be too bad.

Let me know how it goes!

http://www.tested.com/news/feature/...-data-from-your-galaxy-nexusno-root-required/

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    How you can have a Nexus device and NOT be rooted is wild...

8. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    He is in Nigeria, and needs his phone to work! If phone does what you NEED it to (make CALLS, surf the net, sent text messages, send mms, send pictures, take pictures, act as a calendar, write notes, sent and receive e-mail, save tasks, etc...), there is no real reason to root.

Phone is a tv, music player, e-reader and mini-computer (my phone is ancient, only has 3g, but the internet speed is faster than both my home and office computer...)

For me, the main reason I rooted (besides the damn blinking notification light...) was to remove "bloat" (my phone has very limited storage...). Galaxy Nexus (from what I understand), has very little bloatware.

If I ended up with a Nexus now, the main reason I would root is for tethering. Makes my tablet that much handier whe it can be used everywhere!

As for backing up data, that is a definite plus, especially when you cange ROMS often. But...if you aren't rooted, you aren't changing ROM's.

The link I posted suppedly allows you to back up data (for game progress/points earned/info stored...) and restore it without rooting. Would love to know if anyone has tried it...

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What does being in Nigeria have to do with anything?
    Just saying, its a phone meant to be used to opened up and used in all capabilities.

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Nigeria wasn't the point...see my post prior to yours...I would love to know if anyone backed up using that information...

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If it was meant to be opened up then why wouldn't it come that way?

Just sayin'

• Like Like x 1
  12. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    It's sold bootloader unlocked I think. If so then in answer to your question, it does come "opened".

Sent using Tapatalk 2