1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery Icon Always Charging

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by RickW, Jul 12, 2014.

1. RickW

RickW New Member

Jul 12, 2014

Sponsored Ad

My battery icon (OEM icon, not aditional installed app icon) continues to indicate that it's charging even after unplugging. If I turn phone off and back on I get the charging screen even though it's not plugged in. I must pull the battery every time I restart.

Ideas?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Did you possibly get the device wet? This is a classic sign of moisture problems.

If not it is possible your charging port may be damaged. Can you see inside the connector? Any sign of the small metal strips curled up or pushed in? Port clear of dirt and gunk? Try spraying some compressed air into the connector to clear out accumulated dirt.

You may have to have a repair shop look at it if there is nothing obvious. Certainly sounds hardware related.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. RickW

RickW New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I did get it wet several days ago - nothing would work. I put it in a bag with rice for a day and all seemed well.

Is there anything to be done?

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    My experience is that if a device gets wet the rice trick can work well, but it usually has to be left in the rice for three to four days to truly get all the moisture out of all the nooks and crannys. If you see nothing wrong with the charging port from the outside it is possible there is an internal short and if caused by moisture there is nothing I am aware of you can do. Once power is applied after a moisture problem if a short happens that is it.

You could try placing it in rice again for a day or two, but I am not sure if there is any cause for hope at this point.

6. RickW

RickW New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks. It's something I can live with. It's always good to learn things. 20 years with computers but this is my first smart phone.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Is the device actually charging when plugged in and the only issue is the charging icon is always showing?

Can you connect to a PC using a USB cable and the PC recognizes it?

8. RickW

RickW New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    It does charge. This phone has no USB. Overall things seem fine in every other respect. It's just a hassle to pull the battery on every restart.

I can't have the phone in rice for days. I may try it nightly for a while. But I believe you're right about a short.

9. stock broker

stock broker New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I have the same issue with my HTC magic but it is resolved when I update my software.