1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery issues

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by montanj, Dec 6, 2009.

1. montanj

montanj New Member

Dec 2, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I have continual problems with my battery running down lasts 2-3 hours. I found by running taskiller and killing all apps, I could extend my batteries life 8 + hours. but found that corporate calendar, messaging, start in the back ground and I have to keep killing them (not sure why they continue to start) I also killed the gps,wireless and background data and auto-syns.which helped but the calendar and messaging continue to start and if I don't watch the battery power gets eaten up. any ideas ??

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Wow !!! and I thought my battery was bad. :016:upset
    I get 4 to 6 hours of continuous use. And if I can leave it alone, I seem to be down to 50 to 60% after 12 hours of standby. I have been thinking of trying to get a new battery from verizon. But, you my friend need to get yours replaced. Batteries vary alot and sometimes you just get a weak one. :019:nooo

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. montanj

montanj New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I picked up two batteries when I got the droid. I can extend the battery to run all day 16 hours on standby and using it for 2-3 hours. I have to kill all tasks when I am done and drop into standby mode:dft006:unhappy. The problem I have is that "Corp. Calendar and messaging both start on there own. I can't find a way to stop that from happening. more annoying then an actual problem. I just need to stay on top of the running tasks.

5. troutseth

troutseth New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Do you guys have any Third party aps that run throughout the day using GPS or messaging? I ask because even if you are killing them, they may run for awhile eating battery.

The battery on the Droid is not as good as advertised but I am getting all day (8am - 11 pm) and have 40% or so left. I have 70 mins of web browsing, 20 emails received, 15 sent, and about 90 messages plus my weather ap running and sportstap today.

A few things I remember from my Moto Q days, these items kill battery the most:
    1) Screen - I have it on Auto but have it turn off in 30 seconds
    2) Vibrate - it takes a crap load of power to move the motor
    3) BT, GPS, and Wifi - I keep BT and Wifi off until I need them.

Just trying to help!

6. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Same here mine will go about 32 hours from full to dead.

7. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    I have noticed that "Use wireless networks" option under Settings -> Location & Security Settings is another battery drainer.

Like troutseth said, the most important thing is to keep bt, gps, wifi, as well as "use wireless networks off" until you need really need them (tip: add the "Power Control" widget to your home screen to quickly turn most of these on and off.

Something else that will help your battery life making sure you have auto-brightness enabled under Settings -> Sound & Display.

You can always see what is accounting for battery usage under Settings -> About Phone -> Battery Use.

8. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    Try leaving the battery in to charge for a few extra hours after discharged

9. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I would think its more an app, I had fogotten to kill a different facebook app and woke up in the middle of the night to a low battery after just a few hours. Otherwise mine goes all day, I charge each night before bed and thats it. I use wifi all the time.

10. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    When I first got my Droid I was not happy with battery life what so ever. Was getting about the same life as being mentioned above ( ie lucky to make it threw the day). So to fix it I went to the extreme and reset the entire device. i'm not getting about 35+ hours under average to light use. On heavy use I'll get at least a full day out of it. One thing I will note is don't worry about killing corp calendar, msging and that stuff. Just let advanced task killer or manager kill them to the settings you have set. Going in and manually doing it is killing more battery then just leaving them sit idle, why because everytime you use the software it is using more power plus each time you have to turn the screen on to do it and IMO the screen seems to be the biggest drain on battery life. And when idle they are using any battery anyways, plus if the device needs more memory or whatever Android will close what it needs to. Lastly fact is they (corp cal, msging...etc) are part of Andriod and will continue to appear not matter what you do until the device is rooted and we can just get rid of them for good hopefully.

Anywhoo after doing my reset I was pretty picky on the way I set it back up this time. I now have advanced task killer load automatically and kill apps hourly,and I also have weatherbug set to update every 30 mins. I never leave BT or Wifi on unless I need them, but do leave GPS on all the time. Also to help battery life turn off the auto Brightness on the screen, that just chews threw battery life as it always keeps it set to the highest brightness I've noticed. I have mine turned almost all the way down and it is still more then bright enough. I also have my screen timeout set to 1 min.

11. cutelunatic

cutelunatic New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    battery life

One tip I learned was to turn the airplane mode on when you go to bed instead of powering it off.
    I also have 2 batteries. I always turn the screen off. But sometimes the battery just drains all by its lonesome. Weird.

12. DroidDoes

DroidDoes New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Update fixes

With the 2.0.1 update on the 11th of December it will increase battery life:dft010:big_smile