1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery question

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Xsie, May 27, 2011.

1. Xsie

Xsie New Member

May 24, 2011

Sponsored Ad

I was wondering if takin the apps off of my home screens n just accessing them through my drop down menu prolong my battery life any? Right now my display is at 79%.

Sent from my new phone, the HTC Inspire, with Tapatalk...

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    This wouldn't have any effect on the battery life. Turn screen off when not using. Set brightness lower....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dhilipan

dhilipan New Member

May 28, 2011
    ask your nearest customer care center

5. caroleriordan

Bronze

Jun 25, 2010
    Having your computer screen full of icons slows down your computer but I don't know about phones.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Everything Android

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Lol they won't know.

No it won't hurt your battery.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

• Like Like x 1
  7. I8qbert

Bronze

Aug 24, 2008
    Having all those programs that the shortcuts lead to slows your pc down.
    sent from somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  8. Xsie

Xsie New Member

May 24, 2011
    Just trying to find ways to keep extend my battery life throughout my day.

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Having Widgets (especially scrolling widgets) would effect battery life. Not icons and shortcuts.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    are u rooted?
    If so have you tried the battery calibration app in the market?
    also ur battery life will get better after a few days of letting it completely discharge and then recharging it with the phone off.

11. Xsie

Xsie New Member

May 24, 2011
    Oh hey ill give that a try B, thanks!

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Don't use a live wallpaper.
    Set your screen brightness down low,
    Set your screen to go off on a short interval.
    Don't keep GPS on.
    Don't keep BT on if you don't need it /use it.

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Met0,

That's the second time you've mentioned a battery calibration app. What is it? What does it calibrate it too? Hw does using one improve battery life? What is the app called and where do you get it?

14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    If that's slowing down your computer, you've got far bigger problems than a few shortcuts.

15. Xsie

Xsie New Member

May 24, 2011
    Thanks Bob, your the best!

16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Well, I don't know about the "best" ...maybe top 10.... (seg). Seriously tho...that's what is so great about the everything xxxxx forums. Everyone is pretty dang helpful and motivated to help each other regardless of the question. The mods and site owner do a great job and many of the regulars are a font of ever increasing knowledge..particulary in areas like rooting if that is something you're interested in. Overall just a nice community to be a part of.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    well this particular app is called battery calibration and can be found in the market
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration

the way it works is by deleting the file batterystats.bin that the phone automatically generates to tell it when the phone is fully charged or depleted. This file can be wrong because of improper charging techniques like not allowing your phone battery to completely drain before putting it on the charger or not allowing the phone to completely charge before removing it from the charger. Ever pulled your phone off the charger to have it immediately read 100% only to have it drain to 80% or lower within 2 minutes of light to zero usage? This is the reason that happens

18. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    So it doesn't really calibrate anything, it just deletes a data file.... ?

In a perfect world, what you state would be possible, but you can't always deplete your phone to zero prior to charging it for the next day, etc. Mine typically goes off charger at 100%, drops to 95 or so instantly, and then with usage throughout the day, drops to 50 to 60% unti I pug it back in at night. I don't do enough to it to deplete it to zero, but must have it reliable enough that I can't take the chance of dogging it down over 2 days, especially as the depletion urge doesn't apper to be linear.

I will have to read more about that app....

In the meantime, I'll return to LMAO about the downfall of a certain major college coach....

19. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Also, apparently this app and some others that I looked at briefly only work when the phone is rooted, so it's "useless" to the masses. ??

20. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    also
    1. set the power management to battery saver. all this does is shut down the 3G radio if it is unused for 30 mins.