1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 launch next month, Android apps due February 6

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by android2012, Feb 1, 2012.

1. android2012

android2012 Guest

Sponsored Ad

Rue Liu,

The long overdue BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 update may finally be arriving in February, if RIM follows through on its latest promise. According to a post today by RIM’s Developer Relations team, the update will be available next month, packing the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps feature that allows Android apps to run on the PlayBook tablet.

The BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps is perhaps the most anticipated feature of the update other than native email, contacts, and calendar support. To ensure that the update launches with PlayBook-ready Android apps in the BlackBerry App World storefront, RIM is setting a deadline of February 6 for developers to submit their Android apps.
    RIM has posted a set of guidelines for submitting apps, which include removing the word “Android” from all parts of the app, removing all links to Android Market, selecting BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 as the minimum platform requirement, and ensuring that the app is code signed.
    The BlackBerry Plug-in for ADT, BlackBerry Packager for Android apps, and the BlackBerry SDK for Android apps can be used to port apps, which RIM promises is an easy process. Developers are welcome to submit apps after the update launch, but to ensure its presence on launch day, the deadline is February 6. BlackBerry-PlayBook-review-08-SlashGear-1-580x478.jpg

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am very excited, but I don't think you will find many eA members who really care.....My PlayBook is the last connection I have with the BB world....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Maybe RIM should look into doing this with their phones also. Might save the company.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That is rumored to be a part of the new QNX OS slated for the first new QNX phone device to be released in the third quarter.

6. android2012

android2012 Guest

Hi stevetaz,
    I saw your problem and search google in your problem related topic and i got this message.I think this is suitable for you try this
    There are a number of reasons to give your BlackBerry PlayBook a "factory" reset. Chief among them: preparing your BlackBerry for rooting, downgrading your OS, and fixing a bricked/nuked tablet. It's fairly obvious when your BlackBerry tablet has bricked. Is your BlackBerry Playbook continuously rebooting? Does the LED double-flash when turned off? Like flash flash pause? Can't use your BlackBerry tablet? Yep, it sounds like you've got yourself a bricked PlayBook. It's easy to fix.
    Before beginning, I should note that this process will completely wipe all of the data from your PlayBook. If you're planning on downgrading the OS or rooting your PlayBook, you should first create a backup of your tablet's contents. Personally, I skip this step because none of the data on my device is irreplaceable. If your situation is otherwise, make sure you make a backup copy. Of course, if your PlayBook is bricked, I hope you already made backups, because there's no way to recover that data at this point. Sorry.
    To reset your PlayBook, you'll need the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software, a micro USB cable, a computer, and - of course - your PlayBook. Start Desktop Software on your computer and turn off your PlayBook. Yes, turn it off. Use the USB cable to connect your PlayBook to the computer and wait. After a moment, you should get an error message saying Desktop Software cannot connect to your PlayBook.
    Click the "Update" button that's in the middle of the other two buttons, follow the on-screen instructions, and wait. Desktop Software will take care of downloading the OS and installing it to your PlayBook. The process could take up to an hour; make sure you keep your PlayBook connected until told it is safe to disconnect. Once finished, you'll be required to choose languages, set the time, sign in with your BlackBerry ID, and make final updates to the operating system - just like you did when you first received your tablet. After you're done, you'll once again have a working BlackBerry PlayBook.

Refer from:Joseph Holder

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Ummmm, what problem did I have?

8. android2012

android2012 Guest

You have no problem.I told about lost connection in playbook

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
  10. android2012

android2012 Guest

ok thanks

11. Ivan Iliev

Ivan Iliev Guest

I also cannot wait for blackberry O.S. 2.0. That being said, you all should know that I am quite happy with my Playbook the way it is. I keep reading alot of negative articles about the Playbook, and do not understand. This is the most underrated tablet on the market. I know that sales would be better if after the release of 2.0 blackberry would advertise the heck out of the Playbook, and its capabilities. I hate to see such a usefull tool be used as a punching bag for all of the other tablets.

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes hardware and build is very nice. The screen is beautiful. If you don't understand why it has been beat up in the press then send an email....Oh, that's right. You can't use the PlayBook to send emails natively.

A BlackBerry product with no built-in email application? There's a reason. A BIG reason.

Again, you should be posting on BB sites like everythingBerry. If the 2.0 OS version is released and includes the expected ability to run Android applications then maybe you can post about it here.