1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Blinking GPS in notification area????...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by powerwagon, Nov 26, 2009.

1. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009

Sponsored Ad

From time to time I get a blinking GPS receiver in my notification area. It doesn't seem to stop unless I go in and uncheck GPS within the settings and recheck it. Is this normal, or something odd?

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Personally i've never seen it, then again never looked do you have the maps app running in the background?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    you probably have an app that uses location tagging. a lot of apps use this, but usually you have to turn it on. are you using latitude in google maps? twitter clients also use location tagging.

5. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    ^^^ what he said... it sounds like you have a GPS-enabled app running in the background.

Use one of the task manager apps from the Market to see what apps are running when you get the GPS indicator, and see if killing the suspected app(s) makes the indicator go away...

6. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    If "GPS" is checked in the Location Settings, it would seem logical to me that the device is just doing as it's been instructed and trying to determine its position using the GPS receiver. Mine does it too, BTW.

If you're in an area where there's no GPS reception and the icon keeps blinking signifying the receiver is searching for a signal, the sensible thing to do is to just turn off the GPS radio to conserve the battery.

The Power Widget that comes pre-installed on the phone makes that easy to do.