1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Bricking Of Samsung Tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Spudster, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Device(s): Samung Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Carrier: Telstra

[​IMG] Bricking Of Samung Tablet?

I have heard of the risk of Android tablets/phones bricking?
    So what causes them to brick? Can it brick itself? I use to have a rooted android tablet but I reinstalled the original firmware since I Was scared of the tablet bricking, The tablet is the only thing the supplies internet at home and via 3/4G.

Can rooting brick it if you only install one trusted application that only needs root access? Im unrooted now. Recently Telstra/Samsung launched The new Firmware Update ICS it was in the middle of doing the upgrade until it froze I turned of the device without no choice, For 3 minutes the device wouldn’t turn on, I then pressed the power button for 10 seconds and got a response into download mode luckily (it was a soft brick, thought it was hard) Why can firmware stuff the Hardware without physical breaking it?

I don’t own a computer besides one I borrow from my brother if something goes wrong with the tab, I did manage to reinstall the original firmware Honey Comb then Upgrade to ICS luckily this time it worked.
    I like the idea of rooting but not if there are always these risks, there are cons and pros init.

Just wondering if it safe to root if I won’t be installing custom ROMs and only certain applications or if It’s better to stay un rooted while I am on contract and what causes bricking (soft and hard)
    It is my only device to internet access; I also own a site that should be up soon so I will be relying on the device 90%.

I do have A 3ds As Half backup But it nowhere near as powerful and good as A Tablet PC being on contract I don’t want to be paying for a dead device.

Thanks for the advice,

Spudster

2. Spudster

Spudster New Member

Jan 24, 2013
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    As long as you follow the instructions and do not deviate then there is nothing to worry about. If you are unsure you can handle doing it, then dont.

5. galfan

galfan New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    I was thinking of rooting my tab too. However, I got scared of making a mess out of it. Therefore, I just need to wait for any updates.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Everything Android

6. Jimbofoshow

Jimbofoshow New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Unlocking, rooting, custom recovery and installing roms can be very safe and reliable. But before i would do any of these i would do my homework first. You can find just about anything you want to know on youtube. But youtube is full of amateurs that dont know what they are doing. Look up the same instructions and compare to ensure consistency. If anymore doubts, go to xda developers website.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

7. galfan

galfan New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    I even tried xda developers. No dice. Since I bought my tab 2 months ago, still under warranty I rather not push my luck. Thanks for your help anyway.

8. Jimbofoshow

Jimbofoshow New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    If you have doubts the staying stock is the way to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Everything Android

9. galfan

galfan New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    yes, that's me, the chicken. Pretty soon an update is here so I will wait.

10. Jimbofoshow

Jimbofoshow New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Smart choice

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Everything Android