1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Arrow

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by angeleyes, Nov 3, 2013.

1. angeleyes

angeleyes New Member

Nov 3, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Greetings droiders,
    It all started when, suddenly, my network changedfrom H to E (what the hell is that anyway). So I googled and did all the things I found there to no avail. Then I came across this app called "Android SecretCodes" which has worsened my situation. You see,There's this code *#*#4636#*#* by which you can supposedly change your network. As this code wasn't working, and as I'm new to these so-called 'smartphones',I tried another one: *#0*#. After executing it, I don't know what happened but now there's this left-pointing white-coloured draggable arrow which refuses to go away.I've attached a screenshot of it. That's it. That's my problem. I'm using Samsung galaxywin (Duos) GT I8552. Please help and remember, I'mnot a techie.Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    The H and the E indicate the speed of your connection. E is EDGE, which is slower than the H. If you are new to smart phones the first advice I would give you is to slow down and research before you start entering codes that you are not sure of especially a code mentioned in one blog post by someone from a different country than you are located in. The fact there is only one mention of that 4636 code should be cause for concern.

The speed the phone's data operates on is mainly a product of what your service provider has available. Other issues can include distance from towers or simply not enough towers to provide complete high speed data service in all locations.

You should check the setting your phone has to be sure it will grab available high speed connections by going to Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode > and verify the option is checked to give you multiple choices including the high speed ones, not just EDGE. If you don't see high speed connections you should contact your provider to have them tell you what is available and if necessary request trouble shooting assistance.

I have no idea what that *#0*# code is intended for as I found nothing mentioning it. Looks like your screen shot is reversed too. Is that the way you see it on your phone?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    The first code is mentioned many places, Steve... I have used it many times to fix network issues when phone won't send sms messages. I have no idea on the second code...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks Sherri. Don't know if it was because I looked it up while in Mexico, but my search result literally had one result and it was a blog/forum post by someone. The comments posted by other readers indicated some worked and many did not.

As anything perhaps the search term was incorrect. I simply copied a sentence from the OP's post. I should have reworked the search term, but I was anxious to get back to the last vacation Margarita. I also now see the app mentioned by the OP, Android SecretCodes, has quite good reviews.

My ignorance.....

6. angeleyes

angeleyes New Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Than
    k
    Thanks stevetaz,
    I really appreciate this; especially the one about doing research. Wiser by hindsight, eh? I'd appreciate it more if you could kindly please tell me how to get rid of that god-damn arrow. And yes, that's tha way the arrow is I'm sending you another screenshot of what happens after the arrow is pressed.
    Regards.

7. angeleyes

angeleyes New Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Sorry. Was unable to upload file earlier.

Attached Files:

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am really not sure what that code does. I did find one reference that indicates it puts the device into a "General Test Mode"

*#0*# (General Test Mode)

What I don't see is how to exit. I hope you don't have to do a hard factory reset, which will wipe all data. Make sure you do a full backup if you haven't already, but keep your fingers crossed the backup won't restore the test mode.

Search around and see what you can find about exiting that test mode if it is actually what has happened. The link I gave indicates that was for the Samsung S3.

Do you have any third-party apps that control the screen or icon design? If your second post is showing the result of hitting that arrow does it mean it resorted your icons on the desktop? Looks like the arrow is gone from that screen shot though.

After being away from work for two weeks I really have to do some work so I can't research any more this morning.....Let us know what you find so we can try helping later if you still need......

#7 stevetaz, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015