1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy from local dealer or online?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by 22droid, Dec 5, 2009.

1. 22droid

22droid New Member

Dec 5, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Where did you buy your Droid? I AM going to get a Droid but first, from where? Should I buy from local Verizon dealer or online from places such as amazon or wirefly, to name a couple. Online it's available for $150 and an insurance policy for $50 for one year that includes 3 claims with no additional fee. From local dealer it's $200 after $100 mail-in rebate, which I'm told takes about 2 weeks to receive. Their insurance policy is $120 (for two years) with unlimited claims but charge $50 for first claim and more $ should you require additional claims. What about "service after the sale", like help with setting up the phone and/or transferring data from old phone to Droid? Any thoughts, suggestions, or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ted

2. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    I was coming off a 2 year agreement with Verizon, went thru the mail since they applied the $100 rebate immediately, don't like to wait for the rebate check in the mail. I called to activate, not a problem. I updated my contacts thru Google online gmail site. Insurance was $6/month with $89 decutible, 2 claims max in a year.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    IMHO, I have always found the small local wireless shops to be a bit shady, and as for the official Verizon stores, I have found that most sales staff isn't very knowledgeable and tend to have an uncaring, borderline condescending attitude.

I'm in NY, so the attitudes are not surprising.

Since I preferred not have some know-nothing in the store try to make me feel like an ass, I did the upgrade to the Droid online. Oh, and the instant rebate didn't hurt either. =)

5. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Got mine at Best Buy for 2 reasons they are:
    1: knew that the local vzw store would be packed and would probably take forever to get it if they had any available by the time I asked for it or it was my turn.
    2: Best Buy took off the instant rebate right away so no hassle with the rebate and i was able to put 50 dollars down on it 2 days earlier so that i would be assured a device on launch day.

6. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    It is way past launch day, the Verizon store I pass everyday in the mall is empty. When I was making the decision I went it and had a salesman for as long as I wanted... still got it online for the immediate rebate.

7. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I know i was just stating the reason i got mine the way i did on launch day :dft011:tounge_out