1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Calendar Sync Range?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Eugene, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I have setup a second google calendar for my son's pre-school schedule so it will show on my droid but be seperated from mine (different color) so I know when to go pick him up. Since google calendar was kind of limited on recurrences I couldn't tell it to repeat every tuesday and thursday so I had to enter a whole bunch of individual entries for every day. The first one was September 3,2009 and they go on through May 2010. When I use the google calendar web site I see all those entries, on my phone the first one is October 13th. So I'm missing the first 5 weeks. Is there something that tells the calendar to only sync so much data, i.e. only back x number of days? I can't find any setting like that.

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    first off, you should have been able to set up a recurrence for that. i do it all the time (on the website). i work part time for a university broadcasting classes and i set up recurring dates through a whole semester.

second, of course there's a limit to the the data syncing prior to the current date. why would you need events on your phone calendar before the actual date? there probably isn't a setting for it. that would just be silly.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    The main calendar goes back a year, thats how far back the .ics file goes that I imported into Google. So the second calendar wasn't consistent with the first.

I was looking at the local school system calendar that his preschool says they follow to see when Christmas break started, but noticed the local school has their start of the school year on a Tuesday in August but i thought we didn't start preschool until September and on a Thursday so I was looking back to see for sure when was his first day to see if it matched up.

Looks like on a computer going to the google calendar web site you can enter a tuesday/thursday recurrance but not on the android calendar or in the web browser on android, looks like another feature request.

How does the google calendar handle exceptions to the recurrance, if I need to put from sept 3 to june, every tues and thurs, except for the last two weeks in december and a week in march. Korganizer has an exception block but I don;t see that in google calendar, thats probably where gcaldaemon gets stuck on the recurrances.

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    ah, i see.

what i do is just set the recurring dates. then delete the ones that you don't need. you can delete individual instances. you may have to set up the recurrence on the gcal website, but you can delete individual occurrences on the droid.

6. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    That makes it kind of a pain, you have to use the google calendar web site for some things and that doesn't support the droid browser. I need to find a better sync tool, gcaldaemon has issues with recurring things too.

7. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I went to my kids schools website calendar and downloaded the cvs file and then imported it to google ... worked like a charm. :dft012:wink

8. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Mine didn't have that option, besides there was a bunch of things on it I didn't need like senior finals day and such.
    It worked to put it in a recurring in google calendar, then deleted the few days I didn't need, but I still wish I could have done it on the phone, that was one of my long issues with winmo, there was so much I couldn't do on the phone, had to wait to go home and and use the computer there.

9. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    oh thats a bummer ... I guess my school has a good site. I was able to choose the 3rd grade calendar.

You can sync your outlook calendar to google but, then again thats not from the phone. :016:upset

10. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Outlook Calendar? I had to dump outlook when they dropped support of Office 2000, Office Xp/2002 dropped too many features and added too many problems to make it useful. Was a good thing anyway, I always had to archive to keep my pst under 2G. After fighting XP for a year I went open source where stuff actually works.