1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

car dock problems

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bheidemann, Nov 20, 2009.

1. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I have my Droid set with a security pattern instead of the simple unlock screen. One thing I have noticed is that if I take my phone off the car mount while the screen is locked it will not turn off the 'car mode'. It thinks it is still docked until I either reboot the phone or reinsert the phone into the car dock and undock it while the phone is unlocked. Anyone else have this problem?

2. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Also...

It would be nice if the phone didn't lock while docked in the car holder. I use last.fm alot while driving and having the key in my lock pattern while driving just to change the track is dangerous.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Not sure how you can change what is happening to you, i personally just leave the default screen not the pattern way just because its a simple slide of finger, i use last.fm all the time and i know what you mean by having to unlock the screen being a pain, but i do believe you can set it so that the screen doesnt lock so fast or doesnt lock on its own at all.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Would setting the screen to "Never Time Out" avoid this?

6. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I don't mind the screen turning off the save batt power but the lock is annoying. Also it is sometime difficult to push the power button while docked.

What would be even better is if while docked the screen turns off like normal but you only need to touch the screen for it to turn back on. That would simplify matters greatly.

7. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Most likely but I want the screen to time out just not lock. Also, by setting this you have to remember to always lock your screen manually.

8. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Did you try this "widget"? I haven't, but it may do what you are looking for...

Screen Mode Widget

It's a little widget that toggles between three modes:
    Sleep Auto: Normal screen action, only power/lock button locks/unlocks phone, still slide
    Awake Stay: Power/lock button, camera button, or volume buttons wake and unlock the screen, no need to slide (sliding is unnecessary IMO, never hit the button accidentally). Also great because if you just slide the keyboard out it's already unlocked!
    Screen Stay: Screen never locks, just stays awake unless you lock it with the lock button

9. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    oh very cool, just downloaded and started playing with that widget. So far I think it will work perfectly

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    you could also try the app "Locale" it allows you to set it up so it changes settings based on certain parameters, like gps location or time. i'm pretty sure you could set it up once so that when it's in the car dock it doesn't lock. then you wouldn't have to keep changing the setting when you put it in the car dock. i'll be trying it out now that i just picked up my car dock.

i just have to figure out where to put it on the windshield. i don't want to stick it to the dashboard.

11. JHoleskibum

JHoleskibum New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Any progress on this issue? I just got my car dock and it drives me nuts when it locks. I do appreciate the screen going dark when not using nav though.

12. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I always plug mine into the charger and it never times out.

13. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Same here, the combination of car dock and charger makes it always stay on. Either car dock itsself or charger itsself it turns off.
    I just with they had made the car dock so it latched on the side opposite the usb then made it plug in as you put it in the dock like the home dock does so you didn't have to plug the cord in each time.
    I'm thinking of putting mine up above my mirror.

14. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I went ahead and put it on my dash so I could have the cords nice and tucked out of the way. I don't think I will be switching phones any time soon. I like watching TV episodes on youtube on my drive home.

15. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I have an overhead console that has a couple lights and then a cubby to put sunglasses or whatever. There is room inside it so I'm going to open the verizon charging cord I got with the phone (got another with the dock) and hardwire it inside the console and bring it down beside the wires going to the mirror.
    I've heard people look for mounts on dashes because a lot of people take their gps out of the mount and just put it elsewhere in the car so the mounts are a target for the smash and grabs. So if i hide it up above the mirror it will be much less noticeable.

16. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    sounds like a good plan to me. In my case I don't need to worry as I don't go to many places. Work and home mostly. It's mounted low and I got tinted windows.

17. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Workplaces are common targets, they figure people are going to be inside for a while and tinted windows say "I have something to hide" (I work in IT Security so physical security/thinking like a thief is part of it

18. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I understand what you're saying. I did fail to mention that I also never lock my car. There is nothing important in there unless you are a big Johnny Cash fan lol

19. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    some do go through parking lots looking for unlocked doors, others don't, they just smash. Some look and if they don't find anything of value they move on, others smash the dash or knife the seats. Large insurance companies won't cover the damage claim if the doors were left unlocked since it was not secured.