1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Gmail adress and syncing contact

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by loudfocus2, Dec 30, 2010.

1. loudfocus2

loudfocus2 New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Sponsored Ad

When I was at the Verizon store getting my Droid X, the guy had me enter a Gmail address into the phone while he was setting it up. I now want to remove that account from the phone and add a new one (one that has my real name instead of a stupid nickname from 15 years ago) So, I created the new account and set it up in the phone. But, now I need to know how to get my contacts to sync from the phone to gmail. The contacts are there on the old email address. So, I don't want to delete that account until I get the contacts sync'd into the new one. I set up with the "sync contacts" circle checked and have hit the "sync now" button a couple times, but the contacts do not show up online. Am I missing something?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Contacts wont sync from one Gmail account to another from the phone. Export the contacts in the old Gmail account on the PC, then import them in to the new account on the PC and then they will sync over.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. loudfocus2

loudfocus2 New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I don't think I explained myself very well. I am not trying to get them to sync from one gmail account to another gmail account. I am trying to get them to sync from my phone to the new gmail account. I just want to back up the contacts that are on my phone. I hope that makes more sense.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    If you create a contact on your phone, make sure you pick the right account to create it under. On my Incredible there is an option at the top to pick, Gmail, Phone or another account if I had one. Not sure about other devices. If it was already created on the phone then I think you need to redo it, as atleast on my phone, I dont see a way to change which account it is synced to.

That what you are talking about?

6. loudfocus2

loudfocus2 New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    OK, I noticed that when I view my contacts I have three options for viewing contacts
    "phone contacts" (all contacts on the phone)
    "google contacts" (which is the old email address)
    "google contacts" (which is my work email address [company uses gmail])
    and
    "google contacts" (new email address)

The top 3 all have the same contacts, and each contact shows a "linked profile" for each contact list. I can remove the contacts from a given list, but I don't see a way to link a contact to a new list. It looks like the only way to do it is to recreate the contacts manually. It appears as though when I create a new contact it automatically goes to the phone and each Gmail list.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I guess maybe I am not understanding your ultimate goal here...

8. loudfocus2

loudfocus2 New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I kinda answered my own question, with your help. I am just trying to backup the contacts that I have in my phone to the new gmail address that I set up today. I will then remove the original gmail account as I no longer use it. I have discovered that I can not do this without manually entering the contacts again (I only have 47, so not a big deal)

One more question though, is there a way to name each gmail account? For example, can I name one "Work" and one "Home" it never gave me an option to do so when I set them up.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I am not sure, I only have the one Gmail account, although I dont really see an option anywhere.

10. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    No It's not possible. Attempted same with my wife but it ain't gonna work.

Sent from my Desire HD using Everything Android App

11. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    A way around I see would be to de-activate your phone by switching to a non-smart phone. When you re-activate your Android phone, enter the gmail address you wish in the set up. Or, even better, can you run the set up again? Entering the address you want to use.