1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Charging via usb port

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by loudfocus2, Feb 28, 2011.

1. loudfocus2

loudfocus2 New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I am hoping someone can help me out here. While I am at work I charge my phone via the usb port on my computer. The problem is every time I plug it in, my computer wants to install it as a device. I don't have admin rights so I can't install anything on the computer. Is there a way to make it stop trying to install it? I tried changing the settings to "charge only" but that had no effect.

Also, before anyone asks, the wall charger stays plugged in at home, that's why I use the usb cable at work. I have a wall plug to usb adapter thing (technical term) from my Jawbone and was going to use that to charge it at work. But, the phone doesn't charge when it's plugged in to that.

2. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Your AC adapter to usb technical thing is designed for your Jawbone. So it keeps the flow of electricity down. Therefore, it will not charge your higher capacity battery on your device. As for charge only setting not working, something is not right there. It could be an issue with Media Sync. Even if something else is selected, your device should only show up as an external drive. At least it does on my Mac. Media Sync might be where you want to check next

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android App

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No it will always come up, just hit ESC and it wont bother you until next time. Do it all the time, a minor bother but meh, if you need to charge it you kind of get used to it.

5. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I am unaware of android's interaction with windows. On mac, it comes up as a drive when USB is selected. If charge only is selected, the device will only charge, and mac is none the wiser.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android App