1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Considering rooting my Nexus One

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, May 4, 2010.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I'm usually ok with stock phones. With the Nexus One, I've seen some of the things you can do with a rooted phone and they have some major appeal.

1. Trackball changing color based upon notification
    2. Having a dock similar to iPhone
    3. Increased battery life
    4. Tethering

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that make me want to make the jump.

Risks?

2. aggieman

Bronze

Mar 14, 2007
    Number 4 by itself is reason enough for me. I'll add screenshot to the list as well. My Incredible will certainly be rooted eventually.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Yeah, I forgot about screenshots. That would certainly help me out big time when posting screens on the blog.

Maybe this weekend I'll take this project on...I wonder what the procedure is when there is a new OTA update. Do you revert?

5. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Well I don't know about the nexus but on my droid... I did not want the official OTA. Once rooted you will not want to downgrade. All my updates are OTA from the developers through rom manager.
    I am currently running Pete's Bugless Beast V10.1 with the nexus theme overclocked to 1.0ghz its very fast and extremely stable. Have not had a single hiccup yet.
    Being able to be a WiFi hot spot is very cool. And so is the ability to overclock and install themes and icons.

So basically I am saying once rooted there is no need to go back because you will be running the best roms out there.

6. Napoleon_PhoneApart

Napoleon_PhoneApart New Member

May 2, 2010
    I've read that the Incredible doesn't do screenshots. It would be nice to have that ability as well.

7. aggieman

Bronze

Mar 14, 2007
    Unfortunately this is the case on all Android devices.

8. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Incredible hasn't been rooted yet, but it will be...

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    yea im eagerly waiting for that so i can turn it in to a wifi hotspot

10. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    You mean Verizon's worst nightmare?

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    exactly!!!
    mwahahahahahahaha

12. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member

May 8, 2010
    is this something that we can do as easy as the iphone jb? there are tons of dudes on craigslist that offer the service for like 20$ or so, but i just wont wanna have a dude do random stuff to it..

concerns:
    what is "overclock" and can that be bad for the processor at some point?
    i know that with the iphone if you are unsatisfied you can plug into itunes and hit restore, how do you restore the nexus?

thanks

13. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Typically, rooting the phone is pretty easy. As with any mod/hack/edit you do run the risk of bricking your phone. Which Is why reading about it is highly advised.

To Overclock is to speed up the processor so that it performs above its parameters. Vice versa, to underclock, is to lower the processor speed. Running the clocking speed above its parameters could cause some issues if you are running it over the limit all the time which is why its advised that you lower the clocking speed to normal parameters when not in use.

Are you asking how to hard reset the Nexus one? back to defaults you mean?

14. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member

May 8, 2010
    yea that is what i mean back to factory setting so that it looks like it was never used...

i want to do the wifi hot spot the most, that is why i want to root...

any good tutorials that you can suggest?

15. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    heres the rooting process for the N1: http://theunlockr.com/2010/01/02/how-to-root-the-nexus-one/

To wipe your device do the following:
    With the power turned OFF
    Hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER (this will take you to the bootloader screen)
    The screen will have little android skater dudes on it
    Use the volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select option
    Choose CLEAR STORAGE
    Press the POWER BUTTON
    Confirm by pressing VOLUME UP
    keep in mind this will wipe EVERYTHING! So make sure to back up things that you want

16. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member

May 8, 2010
    thanks for the link... i MIGHT be able to do that... is there directions on how to tether.. really that is the only thing that i want to get out of this... THanks

17. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    After you are rooted go into settings > applications and check allow non market apps and then go here http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ after that its just a matter of running the app, then search for phone from desired device and conncet. You will need to accept the connection from your phone. This is by far my fovorite app !!!