1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Converting HTC One M7 to Google Play Edition

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Oct 13, 2014.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I'm super excited. I bought an HTC One M7 when they first came out, but ended up returning it. I think I ended up with a Nexus 4 (which has since been sold). I always like the industrial design of the HTC One and started looking at eBay auctions. I was surprised that they could be had for around $215 or so. The more I looked, the more I couldn't resist. The next big question was whether to go with the classic HTC One or stealth black. I opted for the black. With the iPhone 5, the black aluminum looks extremely cool when it has a few dings. I figure if the One has that it'll have that same cool factor. The one I purchased appears to be in pretty good shape. Honestly, as long as the display is in good shape, I'm good.

I ordered a MIME Ghost Glass tempered glass protector. I did get a case, just in case I decide to keep it protected. Opted for the Nillkin Super Frosted in black. It ships from Japan, so I won't see that for 21 days.

I have plans to root it and install Google Play Edition. From what I've read, taking the proper steps will result in a GPE model that gets OTA updates. That should put me in line for Android L when it ships.

I'll post a few photos when it arrives. It's coming from Brooklyn, so I'm thinking Wednesday or Thursday.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Good for you!

Tired of the Moto X already? Is that gone too?

I can't imagine how you keep track and remember to look for the right phone every day!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I don't think I'll ever sell my Moto X. It's such an awesome phone and my custom bamboo looks great. The HTC One will have to break into a tough crowd between the Moto X and iPhone. Been spending time with the Moto X (2014), but that's not mine.

I'm a fan of stock. The Moto X is basically stock, but I'm not sure it'll get updates as fast as a GPE phone.

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Shipping information just updated. Looks like delivery day tomorrow.:)

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Drum roll please......