1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating intranet on Droid X, file retrieval, file indexing, file viewing

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bestresearcher, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bestresearcher

bestresearcher New Member

Oct 9, 2010

Sponsored Ad

Hi, I'm a newbie and hope this has not been asked before. I have transferred 20,000 html files (consisting of primarily text) to my Droid X. They are stored in a folder on my SD card. I can locate the folder. However, all of the file managers require that the entire folder be read before I can even dream of opening one of the files in that folder for viewing. This takes forever and occurs each and every time I attempt to use a file manager- and I have tried several including Astro-- for this purpose.

After an interminable wait, I see all of the 20,000 plus files but cannot get to the one I want to open which links to the other files. In other words, I have 20,000 files on my SD card that, effectively speaking, I can neither access nor view. This is a database of legal cases and statutes, etc. which I need for my work. I would love to be able to search for specific text as well but first things first.

If this problem cannot be solved, I am faced with two other undesirable situations. 1. I can
    open an account on a cloud server and upload my files to it, which would probably permit me to access them by my Droid X the way that any web page on the Web can be accessed. The other solution is using a remote access type program to access my office or home computer to see the files. From previous experience with the latter option (using my office computer from my home computer), it is painfully slow. Since I have roughly 4 gigs of html data I want to access, I would prefer to avoid the (albeit minimal) expense of a subscription for use of a cloud.

Any advice which would permit me to quickly and efficiently access and view my html files on the Droid would be most appreciated. Free apps, if applicable, would be preferred, but I am getting desperate.

I have heard of an app called the Droid Explorer, which apparently requires that the Droid be rooted (unrooted?).

I guess what I want is an intranet for the above on my Droid X-- a way to immediately find, access and view specific files among the many thousands.

Any advice or ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks-

Thanks to one and all.

Phil

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I think ANY file explorer will give the issue you currently have.

My suggestion would be to use a cloud based piece of software. I use Evernote, but since you want to upload 4gb at once you would have to pay $5 to upload that much for the first month then you could cancel the premium service since you wont need to upload that much again at once. www.evernote.com

Another solution is SpringPad, this is like Evernote but to my knowledge lets you upload as much data as you want. www.springpadit.com

Both have Android apps you can download for free.

You will be able to search each file name for quicker access, but I do not think you will be able to search the text inside. BUT for the time being you (or an law intern do that part) could always upload each file and slowly over time copy the text out of each HTML file and create a new note in whatever program you decided to use. This way you can search for specific text that was in each HTML file.

Hope this helps.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    You could put an index.html file in the root of the SD card that redirects to the index in the folder.

* Or better yet, type file://sdcard/foldername/index.html into the address bar of the browser and bookmark it.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Good one

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android App

6. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Or if you really want the info available everywhere, get a GoDaddy account and a domain name for $5 a month.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.