1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom notification for emails received via SMS

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bigzdog, Sep 4, 2013.

1. bigzdog

bigzdog New Member

Sep 4, 2013

Sponsored Ad

USCC Galaxy S3 4.1.2 stock

I receive SMS alerts from an email server for work. I would like to differentiate those from my other SMS messages but I cannot get the custom notifications to work when the sender is an email address. I did test and it works as expected when the sender is a mobile number.

I found another person having the same issue and they were able to enter the email address in the mobile number field to get custom notifications to work properly but that does not work for me. The other post was over a year ago so things may have changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I hve neer seen a capability to change your SMS alert based on the sender. Where do you do that? Is that a stock Android feature?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bigzdog

bigzdog New Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Yes it is on my USCC galaxy s3 which is stock. Under any contact you have the option of setting a ringtone/notification/vibration pattern different than the default. It just doesn't seem to work for emails via sms

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Are you sure you are inputting the proper email address into the contact that is sending the SMS? It may be the format you are using that doesn't allow it to work.

How did you format what you set up and what fields of the contact did you enter the email address sending the SMS?

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Actually bigzdog it appears you are correct.I have been experimenting for some time this evening and any message I send from an email address to the phone as an SMS does not use the custom notification I set.

I will have to investigate further......

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You might want to look to an aftermarket app, but I am not sure if it will solve the issue. None of what I have seen specifically mentions texts sent from email servers, but this one has a great many options.

8. W2PMX

W2PMX New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Check the "From:" address on the emails. If it's the email address of the sender of the SMS (although I doubt that it is), you might be able to alert based on the From: address. But the address is most likely the email server's address, or the address of some intermediate server sending an email when it sees an SMS, so the best you could do is alert on that server. (There may be an email app that lets you alert on a combination of From: and Subject:.)

9. tyrellwatson

tyrellwatson New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Thanks for sharing information,your information are very helpful for me and increase my knowledge.