1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyanogenmod??

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by billcosby41, Sep 8, 2011.

1. billcosby41

billcosby41 New Member

Sep 5, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Ok...3 things here.
    1. Why is it so good? I know you probably get this a lot, but this is a android forum to teach other noobs at android like me right?
    2. If I install or "flash" cyanogenmod, how could I revert back to the stock ROM?
    3. I have a temp-root, so to flash a ROM, don't I need to reboot, so won't my root be gone?

Thank you for your time :D

2. billcosby41

billcosby41 New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Bump please answer :)

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    To answer the first question, Cyanogen is good (for me) at least, because it enables my phone to do things it shouldn't. My biggest gripe was that when my phone (original Droid) updated to 2.1, it disabled the led to blink when screen was on. This made it impossible to know if you had a new notification while phone was in a dock.

Also, some older phones (again, like mine) are "stuck" at 2.1 With Cyanogen, I am running 2.3.5

I have tried Winners ROM (based off of Cyanogen and MIUI. Both were nice. Loved the look of MIUI, but I like my app drawer.

As for the temporary root, why? Not sure which phone you are using, but most rooted phones can be unrooted as well.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. billcosby41

billcosby41 New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Hm ok thanks. Mytouch 4g...I'm just scared to perm root. I'm using z4root :D but how would I go back to stock? By unrooting/rebooting? Thank you

6. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008

• Like Like x 1
  7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Ok, Weapondrift .... quote but no comment? Fingers quick on the submit button?

Answer the rooting questions, as I am curious as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    @Sherri he answered them in the quote..

At the original poster, in order to Flash a ROM you must go to recovery or do it through ROM Manager. Either one of these solutions will reboot the device. Honestly, if you are thinking about loading a ROM you SHOULD be permanently rooted, no way around it. If you are not sure, then don't root at all.

CM7 gives you access to Android updates earlier, fixes, enhancements, that you can't get with stock. Well worth it in my opinion.

To revert back to stock ROM you need to find a flashable file for your stock ROM OR if you are rooted, before flashing the new ROM, perform a nandroid backup, that will give you an EXACT image of your current ROM/setup. This way you can revert back to the stock ROM you currently have. Nandroid is performed by going in to recovery.

If you want a new ROM, dont temp root, its worthless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  10. billcosby41

billcosby41 New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Thank you so much!!! Answered all my questions :)

11. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Sorry I'm not as skilled as hockey on the quote+post quote+post . I did answer, I just made it hard to find (like the Easter bunny)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android

12. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    So, my web filter is blocking the latest Nightly for Droid X. Anyone else having issues? Wonder if they changed their hosting (or whatever the term is) site...

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Don't have any filters on my PC to test that out with. Can you download from phones web browser and by-pass work PC?

14. mac55

mac55 New Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I think most people are afraid to root for one of 2 reasons.
    1. With root you can brick your phone if not careful.
    2. It can void your warranty.
    Beware that even if you re-flash stock rom back again your flash counters will have changed and you could still lose warranty. So read read read, before rooting. Understand what you are doing. That being said I love my rooted phone.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I don't believe the people at Verizon are smart enough to look at the Flash Counter or even know where it is when you bring it in for warranty work.

16. mac55

mac55 New Member

Sep 15, 2013
    They may not be. But knowlege is never a bad thing, people should have the facts before potentually risking a few hundred dollar investment.

Sent from my rooted SCH-S738C with Area ROM from TapaTalk 4

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, each ROM or Root instructions usually has that disclaimer. Hopefully people can read and understand the risks!

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I can only speak for myself, but I do not root and it has nothing to do with either of your top two reasons.

My reason is that I just don't have time to devote to learning the process. I have a smart phone and so far I have not had enough annoyance that would cause me to want to learn how to root. The devices have done what I need and I have not experienced an epiphany that makes me want to learn how to squeeze more out of the devices.

Plain and simple.....They have worked as expected.

19. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I rooted my first OG Droid because it STOPPED working as expected and advertised. I bought the phone on release day, along with the dedicated car dock and desk clock. Phone came with Éclair on it. I would put phone into desk dock, it would enter clock mode. Screen stayed on this for about 5 minutes, then, it reverted to a bouncing digital clock, to avoid burn-in. When I trapped screen, clock mode was reentered. While phone was in either dock mode or clock mode or bouncing digital ball mode, if I got an alert or notification, my led light would light up. Was able to change colors to know what alert it was. Screen was considered "ON".

Along came Froyo. The brainiacs at Google decided that the led took up too much battery when screen was on, so they disabled it. I NEEDED IT! I worked at a desk. Phone was in dock, with bouncing digital clock showing. I turned notification sounds off (didn't need to be alerted to every email, tweet, FB update, or text message!) I left ringer on, so that I would hear. Prior to the Froyo "upgrade", I could glance at phone, see the time, and a purple led light, which was a text from my kids. Red meant "missed call", which I needed if I went to bathroom. All other lights worked (green for gtalk/ yellow for email/blue for Twitter/cyan for Facebook...)

After Froyo, this stopped. I would physically have to touch phone and check for notifications. Not always practical. If I was in a meeting and phone flashed purple, I could excuse myself and respond to my kids. A lot better than opening phone screen every 5 minutes....

So....I needed to root to allow a custom ROM that did this. Cyanogen did, and all ROMs based on that work still do.

AOSP (pure android) still doesn't allow it, so even though I have switched phones, I will only use a ROM that is AOKP, as this allows my most needed feature.

Other than that one feature, the phone works as I need it to. Glad its rooted, as that also allows me to remove useless apps and ads....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

20. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    AS you know I was still in deep with BlackBerry as you were going through the various iterations of Android Sherri so you obviously had many good reasons to root. By the time I came over to Android it appears they worked out a lot of the growing pains so I stepped in with something of a seasoned product and it is pretty much working for me.

I do wonder if I had come over a couple of years prior if I would have jumped in to the rooting pool out of necessity......

21. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Yup, if I didn't want the led to blink with screen on, don't know if I would have rooted....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2