1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Desktop Software???

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sherri, Nov 2, 2009.

1. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Neutrino, if you want to move this to an already created thread, please do. I couldn't find anything about this, and yes, I did search!

One of the features I like about my current phone is the ability to use desktop software to store contents. My phone is old, so the Microsoft stuff doesn't work (WM6 and up only...)

I use a program called Dashwire, which is now going to be called DashWorks. It syncs and stores all my photos/sms (big one, since I don't want to store these on memory card..)/ringtones, contacts/favorites, etc. Supposedly, DW will be offering this for the Droid, as they do support some HTC Android phones. So far, it isn't listed in their site, so I was searching for an alternative.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, please let me know if it is for real. Thank you all in advance!

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/2009/10/motorolas-phone-portal-software-for-droid/

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    there hasnt been much droid talk as far as software so i think its cool here for now

this is an interesting question...
    i wonder if like some programs where it doesnt list the actual phone but the operating system it would work...

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Like the android version of PDAnet. Tethering is the one thing other than my optical mouse i'd miss from WinMo and Saga.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Didn't mean to offend, Scott! (Didn't realize you mod here as well! Now that makes it easy!!)

Dashwire lists Android platform, but like you said, does not have the Droid listed. Wondering if that is because it isn't "out" yet...Trying to contact them for the past week. (Since they are changing everything over to Dashworks, I spoke to Ken regarding what happens with my 5000+ texts. He said they are working on figuring "something" out so I can save them...)

This Moto Phone Portal looks great. I hope it is for real!

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    yup im here too since EWM and EA have the same database so to speak and none taken!

must be just because they arent physically available to people just yet only preorder

and yea the moto phone portal looks interesting

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Checked again on the Dashwire site. Now, I don't even see the Android platform listed on the mIQ site (they will be "taking over" for Dashwire...)

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    have you emailed ken?

9. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Sherri - Good find. I'm going to move this thread over to the more general Android section. Although a Motorola product, looks like this software may work with HTC devices as well (Droid Dog used an HTC Hero).

Thanks for finding this.

10. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Here are direct links to the You Tube videos mentioned by Sherri:

11. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Has anybody tried Cellbrite or Dashwire yet?

I need to move contacts from a WinMo device to Droid, BA list is old.

Has anybody tried Cellbrite or Dashwire yet? Haven't found a store that knows before Friday and I am on vacation without my PC for a change.

The stores don't appear to have a Cellbrite update for Android yet.

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I have been using Dashwire since it was in Beta... Love it. Unfortunately, they are "closing shop". A company called Dashworks is replacing it, and they will be using mIQ for the same purposes. It is currently capable of WM6+, BB OS, and the Symbian OS Platform. Supposedly, they will be adding other platforms soon, but I check daily, and there hasn't been any word...

Read about it here...(Neutrino, I have NOOO idea how to direct link...)

http://miqlive.com/

And Scott, yes, I have e-mailed Ken a few times. Since I posted his reply on EWM, I haven't heard back. Will try again.

13. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    This also looks pretty cool. Downloaded it to laptop. Imported all pics currently on my pc (which I was not expecting, so now I have to go and delete them...). Music entered "strangely". Some songs on my WM Player on pc were from video that I converted to MP3, so they could be played on my current phone. Ehen they dl to this app, they stayed listed as "video"...Too tired to explore further, but I am hoping that the first link I posted works...

When I get the Droid, there is an area to register your phone. I just wish it would backup SMS...

http://www.motorola.com/consumers/U...toid=9502cf7689373210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD

14. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

This does look like a pretty neat program thanks sherri will have to check it out on friday when I pick up the phone.

15. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Doubletwist

Not much new here, but I saw this over at Droid Dog and thought I'd pass it along:

16. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Has anyone seen anything in regards to this program yet? i cant seem to find it anywhere and would love to get it going on my droid. file transfers would be so much easier instead of having to hook up the droid via usb.