1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct Dial on the Droid

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sherri, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Scott (or Eragon...) I have not seen a Hints/Tips/Etc...Thread Started, so i'm posting this here. Feel free to move it...

The biggest problem with the Droid (and any Android phones from what I understand) is that you can't use BT Voice Recognition to start a call. Google Voice Activation needs you to verify by reading the list they came up with. Favorite Contacts brings up a huge list, with every way possible to contact that person (Google mail/e-mail/FaceBook/sms/etc...)

The quickest way to make a call for your frequently called contacts (SPEED DIAL FOR A TOUCH PHONE, IF YOU WILL...) is to add a "Direct Dial" for that contact.

From the Home Screen, long tap on an empty space.

Tap "Shortcuts" > Tap "Direct Dial" > Tap (the contact you want to add) > Done.

If this contact has more than one number, repeat these steps and when the contact information pulls up, add the next number. The contact now appears on your home screen with an icon. Their name and a W for their Work number, an H for their home, an M for their mobile, etc...

I took this one step further and made a new folder, and named it "Direct Dial".

Now, to call someone, 2 taps...Direct Dial Folder > Contact

Phone dials that number.

(This is illegal to do while driving in NY, so just be warned...):dft012:wink

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Isnt everything illegal in ny? lol :dft010:big_smile

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    keep the tips coming...if we get enough ill merge some threads together and create a sticky

thanks sherri!!

5. troutseth

troutseth New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Most of these work with the physical keypad (I HAVE NOT TESTED THEM ALL)

OPEN APPLICATION
    Browser-- SEARCH + b
    Contacts-- SEARCH + c
    E-Mail-- SEARCH + e
    Google Mail-- SEARCH + g
    Calendar-- SEARCH + l
    Maps-- SEARCH + m
    Music-- SEARCH + p
    Messaging-- SEARCH + s
    YouTube-- SEARCH + y

NAVIGATION
    Page down-- SPACEBAR
    Page up-- SHIFT + SPACEBAR

TYPE
    Delete entire line-- ALT + DEL
    Persistent CAPS-- Press SHIFT twice; press SHIFT again to escape

6. troutseth

troutseth New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    MAP
    Directions MENU + d
    Select map mode MENU + m
    History MENU + h
    My Location MENU + 0 (zero)
    Go to Settings MENU + p
    Zoom in MENU + i
    Zoom out MENU + o

7. cydroid

cydroid New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Just put them in the Favorites in your contact list. That's it.
    It also has the most "frequently called" by default, so if you do call them alot, they are already in that list.

8. iyumzit

iyumzit New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    hi, please, i just want to direct dial on my number pad and not have it directed to google search box, etc. it takes a moment to open the dialer app and i feel it's a waste of time. is there such an option?

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Try the direct dial widget
    Open your widgets (depends on the phone you have) and scroll to where it said 'Dial Contact' and then move it to your homescreen and then it will ask you to pick your contact

• Like Like x 1
  10. iyumzit

iyumzit New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    thanks for the response. but i just want to press numbers on my phone and have the dialer pop up for a call. i'm thinking i should get an analog phone instead. LOL.

thanks again! :)

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yea I do not believe it does that. Perhaps there is an app out there for that.