1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Disable car home?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bheidemann, Dec 8, 2009.

1. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Anyway to disable the car home app that launches when in the car mount? I never use home and always immediately exit it and launch either navigation or music. The voice search is terrible while in the car mount. I don't know if its the ambient noise, location of the mount or what but it never, ever calls someone when in the car mount. I will say something like Call Dad mobile and it will always bring up a google search with something thats not even close to that I said.

The other problem I am having is that when I take the Droid off the car mount it sometime will not disable car home. I see the "connected to car home" icon in the notification area and when I press the home button it takes me to the car home. The only way I can get rid of it is to either restart the phone or use task killer. Its very annoying.

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yeah, i've had similar problems. i don't know of anything to prevent it from coming on, but i will say that once i stopped running a task killer all the time the problem of it getting stuck when taking it out of the dock went away. i find my droid runs much better without a task killer running. i still have one installed just in case.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    When I get in the car, I put the Droid in the dock, connect it to my BT earpiece device and hit the picture of the "Home" key. This brings up my home screen, and I open my "Direct Dial" folder that I made. This way, if I need to make a call, it is one tap on the screen. (Call is automatically put through to BT when it is connected). Incoming calls can be answered by tapping BT earpiece...

Doesn't look like Android will allow BT dialing (true hands free) any time soon...

Oh...sometimes, I put the phone to the home screen this way and I have Shazam on the main homescreen. If a song comes on I want to "tag", one tap...

5. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    the car dock automatically turns on car home by default as I think there is a magnet inside the dock that does it. So unless you find it and remove it there is no way around it. Reason I know this is I personally don't own the dock myself as I have a perfect place in my car to put it. So to get car home active without having to go threw the menus I mounted a tiny earth magnet in my car. As soon as I put my phone in place it turns car home on, then as soon as i pull it away from the magnet it goes off.

Also as an fyi if I take that same magnet and flip it over it puts the device in dock mode like if I had the home cradle/desktop charger. Fast easy way to save a bunch of money and get the same features without messing with icons/widgets

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    or you could just run the car home app that's on the phone. and download the dock home app from the market. then you don't even need magnets.