1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Discontinuing of App Announcements

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Help' started by chris, Mar 9, 2013.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

A few months back, we removed these from everythingiCafe. With all due respect to developers, a large portion of these announcements are copy and pasted all over the web. There is no interaction with members. Just copy, paste and leave. It also tends to create a less than great experience for members, who have to sort through the clutter of what amount to ads.

This would put a big burden on moderators, who would have to deal with devs who might not read a notice or care to bother with forum policies.

Thoughts?

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Personally, I have found a few good apps this way, from here. I don't use "games", so as soon as I see the name, I can usually tell. The ones that bother me ate the developers that post their app, then pretend to be someone else to comment on it. Steve is pretty amazing at fixing these.

This forum has gotten smaller and smaller...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    If it provides value, I'm not opposed to keeping it.

How do we get more folks using the forum? I'm always open to ideas for improvement.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Wish I knew. Rudeboy had the same issues when he had his forum. Same small group of people, not enough interest. Other forums try contests, give-aways, etc.

There seem to be some very big, active ones, then other forums that haven't been updated in months. The App Announcement sub forum here is the busiest one.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Sherri those other forums have a staff of writers, get test devices and go to lots of events. They draw the crowds which draw the forum traffic.

Chris is always trying so hard to get in and stay in, but seem to pass over us here at eA. I wish they knew what they were missing and what a great community we once had on eQ.

7. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    back when pocketnow had a forum, IIRC we didn't allow app advertisements either. I haven't seen any other forum that has the chemestry that eQ had.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I don't mind app announcements in moderation, but seems like that's all there is right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Everything Android

9. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    mentioning it once or twice is one thing, but I think the issue is the same as it has always been on any of the forums I've modded for. Spambots and needless bumping for self promotion

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Agreed. EQ was a true family. Haven't found anything remotely close, including the other "Everything" forums....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I think part of the family aspect was WM being such a new system and learning how to customize it. With the status of android today, many of those things we 'devved' are now commonplace, available in apps, etc. So the core knowledge seeker of how to mod stuff likely isn't there nearly as much...and I suspect (may be wrong) that less and less people root their phones because the OS core is so much further along in providing a high level of base functionality.

Like any forum where people,tend to get close EQ had a lot of off topic discussion and comments. BT it is somewhat inevitable as people change job, life situations, phones, etc. that drifting occurs. I was part of a group that splintered off from Bayan-l on bitnet and that group lasted probably 12+ years...but the decline is inevitable.

All that said, I enjoy the company here on EA and would love to see a more active forum and would love it participate more when available. My time to do so is pretty limited given work demands and then home life of wife and 3 furry and 1 feathered kid.

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I tend to browse via the what's new listing. I wouldn't mind if app and game announcements did not show up in that listing or I'd there was a customization choice for it to exclude n desire. I tend to 'glaze over' with all the app announcements and probably miss some posts of value. I simply don't play games on my phone and just bypass that 'information'. I know I'm the weird one, but that's squat how I use my device.

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I think also there may need to be a 'seeder' of the forums to ask questions related to Android issues, major apps, interesting uses, etc. it seems we all rely on the regular posts to keep the threads alive and as the community decreases, the regular posts do as well and it is a self-defeating situation. Have a weekly poll with discussion, etc.

What do people,think of the latest Samsung s4?
    What do people,think of the patent trolling that is going on?
    How to people (insert app) here etc?
    Ak a couple of questions a week and see if something like that helps?

14. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Bob, you might be the perfect seeder. ;)

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    That's the nice way of saying I have a big mouth and ask lots of questions huh? (G)

• Like Like x 1
  16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Have been working to seed tonight (g). Try are not however questions just for the sake of questions. They are questions I and presumably others are interested in.