1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the Droid's lag issue will be fixed?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by KelchM, Nov 12, 2009.

1. KelchM

KelchM New Member

Oct 6, 2007

Sponsored Ad

I got my droid this past monday... I was a bit surprised by the amount of lag you feel when interecting with the device, particularly while switching home screens or manipulating the tray.

Out of curiosity I went into Verizon to compare with the HTC Eris. I was shocked... The Eris is marked more responsive and less laggy.

I realize that the droid is pushing more than five times the number of pixels that the Eris is, but still... Should the flagship device really be less responsive? I seriously hope this is more an issue of early software that hasn't properly taken advantage of the GPU.

Any thoughts?

2. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Hmm....have you been able to see or use another Droid besides you own to compare it to? I haven't really had any lag problems except when I am running a lot of things at once. My homescreen seems very responsive also.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. KelchM

KelchM New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Yes. I used both the demo units in the store and it is a night and day difference when you compare the Droid to the Eris or iPhone. Head to the store and try it for yourself.

EDIT: This is definitely one of those things where personal experience comes into play. I've read everything from "the Droid is highly responsive" to "the droid isn't responsive enough."

I think in general, iPhone users are going to be disappointed with the responsiveness.

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i there's a good possibility that it could be fixed in the future.

i agree. the "lag" varies on my droid as well. I have over 50 apps installed and run anywhere from 6 - 16 apps at once. however, i find that at some point the lag never gets any worst. coming from a winmo device, it's still pretty frickin speedy.

who cares what iphone users think. they can keep their crappy phone on their crappy network and be all smug about it.

6. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    AGREE 100% :dft010:big_smile

7. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Well I am happy with my Droid. I love him just the way he is! But if. An upadate makes him even faster that would/be awesome. I have never owned a smartphone before so I can't personally compare it. I do though have a friend with an iphone and know a few people with bb and they all are jealous of my Droid

8. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Why is it that the "apple fanboys" are always bashing anything that is not apple. Is this not a free society we live in to choose what we like for ourselves. The iphone is not for me. But thats just cuz I like the ability to tweak and customize. The iphone really has no freedom of expression that I know of. Unless ofcourse they have an app for that. But I am sure the iphone is a great device. The Droid is not an iphone killer nor do I believe it was intended to be. It was built to fill a void in the market (thats us) Sorry for the rant.

6 more days !!!

9. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    I agree. When the iphone came out I thought "awesome" but there is no way I was getting AT&T. There is a part of me that just despises AT&T. I had them before and had nothing but trouble, never again. The Droid is not going to kill the iphone so the Droid bashers should just stop it. If anything the Droid should challenge both Apple and AT&T to make a better product and service.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i despise apple. and i just think that at&t (gsm in general is a crappy technology). i think the minimal "lag" issues that we're all experience in various degrees, is an accaptable trade off for being able to multitask apps.

11. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Amen brother!

12. KelchM

KelchM New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Oh real mature. The iPhone has been successful for a reason. Also whether you hate Apple or not you should appreciate the fact that Apple changed the phone industry for the good.

You mean like the apple haters constantly bash apple? :dft011:tounge_out

Are you implying that my post was bashing the droid? It has a flaw of being less responsive than other android phones. Thats a fact.

The lag that I'm talking about really has nothing to do with multitasking. It is constantly present, though admittedly less noticeable when nothing is in the background.

I really think it must be an issue of the home screen not properly making use of the GPU.

13. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

I have a feeling you were once an apple fanboy is that the case? Just seems that way from the way you are "defending" the competitor's phone. apple has and always will be elementary very plain and bland and right in your face, not allowing you to do anything with the device unless you jailbreak it and thats a fact :dft010:big_smile

14. KelchM

KelchM New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    I'm not an Apple fanboy. I have used and continue to use Apple products, but that doesn't make me a fanboy.

I just get pissed off when people constantly berate brands or companies for no real reason. For real, what are you gaining other than derailing this thread and getting some perverse enjoyment out of it? Oh, and I hate the Microsoft bashers too.

15. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I believe you are the one that started the derailment of this thread as seen below:

Anyway back ON topic the phone doesnt lag that much at all for me maybe its your device, only time mine lags is when i have 10 different programs running or when the battery is low which is normal your desktop/laptop would do the same thing if you tried doing too much on it.

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    boys, boys, boys, boys, boys... or girls. let's all simmer down.

first off, my comment was meant to be immature. that's my style, yo'!

second, the only reason apple was successful to begin with had very little to do with the actual device itself.

third, apple only changed the industry by playing the marketing game. the phones they introduced first was a toy compared to the windows mobile phones and palm phones at the time. BUT! it was a toy that did everything it said it would do, and it did it well. apple's strength has always been in unveiling and creating buzz around their products.

and that's a fact. i mean they're all facts...er, it's the facts... moving on.

what we're saying is that the only time that we're really noticing a lag is when we're multitasking. that's our experience. your mileage may vary.

and the hardware on the device is sound. it's how the os is making use of that hardware. 2.0 is almost a brand new os. this is the first and only phone with it. of course there are going to be issue.

do you really want me to give you a list of things that are wrong with macs? my girlfriend has a macbook 1.5 years old that's having problems that i've never seen on a pc. and i've had problems with pcs that would never happen on a mac. there are plenty of reasons to "breate" apple. and don't even get me started on their company policies. they basically make you sign an agreement that you won't start or join a class action lawless if your ipod explodes. excuse me? that's what makes this country of ours great. suing people!

we're all geeks, nerds, trekkies, star wars fans, gadget oglers, phone fondlers, and yes, even fanboys of something. this is what we do. we bash the opposing side. the make fun, we JEST. it's how we bond in the lonely emptiness of cyber space. it's our very right, nay, our duty to mock that which we would never use. so i say unto you sir. join us! banter. mock, debate. because if you don't, then our typographical insults and jocular wittery is no more meaningful then our lives would be without these gadgets.

may the force be with you. live long, and prosper |\/|,

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    lets get this thread back on topic or it will be closed

please remember follow the forum rules and treate other members with respect

thank you

18. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Perfect timing scott, thanks we were getting a tad out of control :dft011:tounge_out boy will be boys right? :dft010:big_smile

19. DroidDoes

DroidDoes New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Yes Dec. 11 the 2.0.1 will make it faster.

20. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    Get Advanced Task Manager and have it auto kill every 30 mins and it will be a night and day difference with speed and battery life.

21. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I want to know where your seeing lag? I had a windows mobile phone before so this is really fast.