1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have aHome or Open Home?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by dragonfly, Nov 9, 2009.

1. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Anyone here try the aHome or the Open home themes program to fully customize the droid home screens? Apparently it gives you the option to not only scroll left and right but also up and down, thinking about giving it a shot just wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Thanks,

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i couldn't even find the base aHome app, just themes. i'm probably not going to use it anyway because i notice in some of the app comments they say "doesn't work with aHome". but i would still be interested to see what someone who has been using it thinks.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I was going to use dxTop or aHome, but neither work with Android 2.0 yet it seems. When I tried one of them ( I think it was aHome), I actually had to pull the battery to get the errors to stop. It's not too bad to try them. When you install them and hit the home button, it asks you if you want to use the default one, or one of the others you installed. Once you've decided on which one you like (and one that actually works with 2.0) you can then select it as the one that always loads when you hit the home key.

5. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    K guess ill be waiting on using any of those apps for now. thanks for the update.

6. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Hey Guys,

I actually have ahome working on my Droid and I like most of it's features. I haven't installed any of the themes yet though, just using a dark grey wallpaper I found in the settings. I also tried OpenHome and I really wasn't that impressed with it yet. I was able to find the ahome in the market place. But their website is www.mappn.com if you want to check that out and read up on the application. They also have a forum on there to follow. Hope this helps.

7. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I know that android right now doesnt have a screenshot app (without rooting the phone) but do you think you could take a picture with a camera of your screen? so i can see what it looks like on a droid?

Thanks again for the update.

8. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    I will see what I can figure out on that. Will be sometime tomorrow. If I can get my webcam working I can take a pic with that and then post it on here. Vista doesn't like my webcam too much.

9. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    ok cool thanks

10. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    I wonder if it didn't work for me because I tried the trial version... It FC'd and kept bringing up the error box until I pulled the battery.

11. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Here is a pic of my ahome screen. I hope you can see it. I actually am starting to really like this application.

Attached Files:

12. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    I started with the version you pay for. I haven't had any problems with the program yet. "knock on wood". I tried OpenHome and didn't care for that program much. The only other one I might try is one from Lavalabs, but they haven't released it yet.

13. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Looks pretty cool. really thinking about using it, if i dont like it and uninstall it will it automatically go back to my default screen data? or is it gunna be all messed up than?

Also does it have more than just left and right slide? i hear it has up and down too.

14. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    You should be able to go back to the original home with no problems. WHen you first install the program and you are in another application, you then will hit the home key, at that point it will ask you which home screen you want to go to, ahome or the default. You can set it to ask you this everytime until you get comfortable with ahome. Then at that point, you can check to quit asking you this and set ahome as the default for when you hit the home button.

I do believe it has up and down screens also. Haven't had to use that feature yet.

15. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Cool now i just have to decide if i want to spend the money for it lol

16. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    what is that sticky note looking thing on the left side of the screen? is that an app icon on top of it on the bottom?

also, is that a theme? like a sense theme or something?

17. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    That is an application called CalWidget. It gives you calendar entries on the home screen for a quick glance. The one above it is a flip clock-weather widget. Basically, I have the default ahome installed with no themes on it and I built it the way I wanted with widgets and icons. At the bottom of the screen is what is called the dock bar inside of ahome. It stays there as you scroll though pages. This is as close to Sense UI as I could get.

18. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    did you have to do anything special to get it working? a lot of people on line are ticked off because they say aHome doesn't work at all with Droid.

19. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    I didn't do anything special that I know of. I just installed it and ran it. I now switch between ahome and dxtop. Dxtop is a little more powerful.

20. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    and dxtop runs well on your droid? is there any slow down with responsiveness?

21. Quie

Quie New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Not really. The only thing I notice is if you are in your email inbox and you hit the home button instead of the back button all the way to the home screen, there is about a half a second longer pause than with the original home screen. Another feature they just added is a slide to unlock that is like the iPhone. It is a straight bar at the bottom of the screen that you slide straight across instead of the half circle one that is stock.