1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Does iphone have better connectivity than Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by kitsune, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012

Sponsored Ad

I'm new to smartphones and sparing what time I can to climb the steep learning curve. Any helpful info about the problem I'm experiencing will be appreciated!
    • I'm running an app to process credit card charges. The location I run charges from has not changed.
    • My carrier is Sprint. The data plan has not changed.
    When I had an iphone, the app worked speedily with never a failed transaction. But I didn't care for other aspects of that phone, so I switched to this Samsung.

Now, the app is slow: I often have to sign in twice because the first one doesn't go through, and processing is noticeably slower and even times out about 30% of the time.

Since everything else is the same, I'm thinking it's the hardware, and I'll need to go back to the iphone for trouble-free running of this app.

Please share your experience/knowledge--TIA!

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Could be the network, the phone or the software. You should make sure you are using the most current software version and that it is recommended for your particular phone and OS version. Are you getting a strong signal and is it 3G, 4G or what?

Did you buy the Samsung phone new or used?

What software are you using, what Samsung phone and OS version?

Or you can just go back to the iPhone if it worked for you. Why did you change to begin with?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    • By network, do you mean phone carrier? It's sprint and that hasn't changed.
    • I do have the most current version. Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Have also updated my profile.
    • The signal should be the same regardless of phone, since I'm in the same location, right? So, if I get different reception, wouldn't it be due to the phone's hardware capability? Both phones have both 3G and 4G, not that I really get what the difference is. I assume the phone is programmed to use whichever is best at any given moment.
    • I'd rather not go back to the iphone; the reasons aren't really relevant to trying to improve the samsung's performance or learn that that won't happen, in which case I'll have to go back as my #1 priority is for this app to work quickly and smoothly.

5. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Have you tried Speed Test.net and do you know what your results were before with the iPhone.
    Could be the bloatware from the carrier doing background tasks that interfere. Look under applications under running.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Providing the phone model, the OS version installed, the name of the software you are trying to use and the version of that can be helpful in trying to diagnose the issue.

Perhaps the signal should be the same, but you haven't provided anything that tells us if you see a strong signal or not.

7. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    iP5, I didn't think about doing that with smartphones, but, 'duh' in retrospect. No, I didn't do it with the iphone, but I will take several sample readings with the samsung.

It's more objective data, but I'm already confident in my subjective experience of the samsung phone being slow, even to the point of the app timing out.

I have the minimal running on my phone...don't do any fancy stuff. Sprint staff checked it as well and didn't see anything untoward. They updated my profile and recommended powering off the phone periodically.

Of course, the samsung probably has more junk on it than the iphone, but I'm not going to go in everyday and manually shut down stuff. If that's what it takes, I'll probably learn to live with the iphone (which has somewhat better sound quality as well).

stevetaz, the title specifies the exact phone. I have no idea how to look up the OS--whatever the hell this month-old phone came with, and perhaps some updates, if it works like the OS on my computer.

I think signal strength reads lowish on the samsung, don't recall for the iphone--can you help me understand what difference that info makes in resolving the issue? Would knowing that lead somehow to getting the samsung to get a better signal?

The signal is what it is. The location is the same under both conditions, and isn't a negotiable element in this equation. What I'd like to learn is if there's something I can try that might improve the samsung version of the app's communication/processing speed.

The app is gopayment by intuit.

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Simple solution....Go back to the iPhone.

9. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    um, yeah...

10. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    don't know which one your using but i use square card. and i have no problems with mine. everything runs fairly fast.

11. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    rom x, what phone do you have, out of curiosity?

For me, gopayment provides a more cost-effective solution than square. If I can't figure out any improvements to using the SET, I'll switch back to the iphone (which I still have) and tolerate it fine for a while. The one constant about today's' technology, is it never stays the same for long!

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    FWIW....The goPayment community does mention some issues with the Epic and a particular reader. Take a look to see if it may apply here. That may have been a problem that has been resolved as the posts were mainly in January.

You may think about posting your issue over there as they do seem to respond and try to help.

Just a thought.....

13. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    i have samsung galaxy S2 from sprint

14. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    i just took a look a gopayment look alot like what I use. you may want to download the squard card app from the market and see if it works with your reader. who knows it maybe just the app that you are using that is causing the problem.