1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it actually shut off?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by brokenelbow, Nov 26, 2009.

1. brokenelbow

brokenelbow New Member

Jul 13, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Only having my droid for two days I am wondering if you can actually shut it off. I held down the power button and then touched shut off phone. I then plugged it in to charge and it turns back on.

Can you actually shut it off for the night?

Thanks

Greg

2. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The droid will not turn off while charging, it says so in the manual. Kinda bothers me, too.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Bucket

Bucket New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Does phone on or off while charging have an effect on the battery?

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i believe that is going to be fixed in the first OTA update. if you go to the thread with the verizon ota paperwork it does mention powering off when plugging the charger and that it should be fixed.

6. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Plugging my Droid into PC USB power when it's turned off powers it up again, but holding the sleep button gives me the power down menu and I can turn it off then if I want to.

Did I get an OTA update no one else got?

7. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    But, will it then continue to charge ?

8. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes.

If I connect it to the wall charger, it won't power off and stay off, it comes back on. It will sleep, but not power off.

But when it's connected to my PC via USB I can power it off completely, and it will not come back on. This is totally powered off, not asleep. The power LED is lit next to USB connector on phone, and phone is CHARGING. The LED goes off when charging is 100%.

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I keep mine on the dock all night, just put it into "sleep" mode...(even the "low light" is too bright for me...). Phone needs to be on if you will be using any "alarms"....

I have a full charge in the morning. (Motorola batteries can not overcharge...see other posts here about it...)

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    ditto. mine's in the dock and "sleeping" just like me. then it wakes me up in the morning with AC/DC "Hard as a Rock" *insert completely inappropriate joke here*

11. ranjo105

Bronze

Nov 29, 2009
    I have the update and it still turns on when I plug it in to charge, how about you ?

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    yup, my turns on also when i plug it in. i guess they didn't fix or i misread the bulletin. i thought for sure it was on the list or they at least mentioned that it was an issue they were going to fix. i only really turn my phone off when i'm in a theater or on a film set, so it's not that much of an issue for me. but i hope they fix it in the next update.