1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Doesn't the Droid save attachments???

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by scottk, Dec 21, 2009.

1. scottk

scottk New Member

Dec 24, 2006

Sponsored Ad

It's got to be me being really stupid... but I can't find a way to save attachments sent to me via email. I've tried long-pressing the attachment, opening the attachment and then pressing menu, etc.

There HAS to be a way to do something so obvious. If you've had your coffee and I haven't, please let me know. This is crazy!

2. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I can;t seem to do it either. i tried e-mailing myself a sreadsheet hoping I could save it and open in gdocs but no go.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    there really isn't a need to save attachments. if all you need to do is view then it's in the cloud and you can view it through gmail whenever you want. if you want to edit it, then you would need any app like documents to go which when you choose that app to open the attachment it then creates a new file which you can save to your sd card. since google docs is not currently supported by google on android devices (except through web) then without a third party app you wouldn't be able to take an attachment and make it a google doc only using the droid. google docs uses a much more complicated conversion process.

5. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I can't see any way to send a doc to google docs either. There is a gdocs app that will let you view them but no way from the phone to get them there.

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    like i said, there is no support for google docs from an android device. other then editing docs that are already in google docs in the web browser. if editing docs are important i'd get documents to go. otherwise you can already view them from gmail.

7. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    So if someone e-mails you a document how do you get it. I've found that some will open, my wife forwarded me a doc and i was able to view it.

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    when you're reading the email you just tap the "preview" button next to the attachment and Droid will open it in "quick office" which is droid's built in doc viewer. it reads word, excel, pdf, text files (i would think) and maybe even power point files. since the gmail on your phone is just a connection to the gmail cloud, you always have access to view any document that you still have in your gmail. so the only time you would need to save it is if you edit it in documents to go, or some other doc editing app. otherwise, just enjoy the cloud, baby. :048:peace

9. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I found I couldn't open an .ods but google docs supports it so I had to go back to my netbook and upload it to google docs then use gdocs to view it on the phone.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    what's an .ods file?

11. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Open document Spreadsheet, several apps support it including Google Docs.