1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Downloading freezes phone :(

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Javier DL, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Javier DL

Javier DL New Member

Jul 29, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi all,

I have a Panache, and I'm running Android 2.3.
    I have attempted 3 other downloads, and it really doesn't matter what I attempt to download, it freezes halfway.
    The files to download can vary in type. Whether it's an app to see the local theater movies (Cineplex), or to see the products from a local hardware store (Canadian Tire), or even the update of my Password Manager (mSecure).
    The only way I can get out of the freeze is by removing the battery, putting it back after 5 mins, reboot, and make sure I'm not running the WiFi anymore.

Any ideas?

JDL

#1 Javier DL, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Do you have enough space to install the apps?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Javier DL

Javier DL New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I knew I had forgotten some info...
    At the time of the last download attempt I had somewhat above 100Mb. I made more space afterwards, above 500Mb.

JDL

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Are you downloading to device memory or to a media card?

6. Javier DL

Javier DL New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I'm guessing to my SD card, but how do I confirm that?

7. Javier DL

Javier DL New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I was able to stop the freezing by going to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Download Manager/ Clear data . After removing the battery and all that of course.
    But I still can't attempt to download any update 'cause it freezes again :(

I hope someone can solve this one soon.

JDL

8. Andrew Villa

Andrew Villa Guest

Maybe there are lot of applications running in your background so it makes it slow and freeze. Try to free some memory in your RAM.

9. Javier DL

Javier DL New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion Andrew Villa.
    I use a task killer often (Advanced Task Killer), to keep a minimum of apps running.

I have 548Mb in the SD card available, and 448Mb in the internal space. So this shouldn't be the problem either.

I'm suspecting my problem might have a lot to do with my Market app. Since its version is only 2.3.4, maybe anything I try to download conflicts with the Market app (?). After all, in the Troubleshooting Download Issues page from Google, they advise to use (and assume you have) the Google Play Store app, which came to replace Market app.

10. Javier DL

Javier DL New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Well, I'm finally able to download updates (haven't tried anything else yet).
    Apparently just uninstalling a few games and non-important apps did the trick ;)

JDL

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That would make it seem you were running low on device or card memory....

12. mikearnill

mikearnill New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I think there must not be enough space in your phone to download applications, I will recommend you to move all your apps to your memory card or simply kill unnecessary apps.

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Did you miss the part where the OP said he removed a few games and apps and everything worked fine?

14. leeapps

leeapps New Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Try dling from wifi

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What does wifi have to do with anything?

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android