1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

downloading to external sd or usb hdd

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Stewart Kidd, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Stewart Kidd

Stewart Kidd New Member

Mar 30, 2014

Sponsored Ad

I purchased a few weeks ago a smart android tv box.After using it in its standard form I thought I would add some storage which consisted of a 1 terabyte usb hard drive(ntfs) and 16gigabyte sd card(fat 32).

I am a windows user and didn't expect the problems that I having with. android. Looking at system memory I can see the external sd memory and it is mounted. After that I am just going around in circles and any download goes to internal memory.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Stewart

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What does the manufacturer's instructions tell you? Is external storage possible? Is there a setting that has to be changed to direct storage there instead of internal memory?

What is the make and model of your TV box?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Stewart Kidd

Stewart Kidd New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The android tv box is a generic chinese box made by rockchip with android 4.2. The instructions only showed the box's external connections which include 2 usb 2.0 and a microSD card sockets. My biggest problem is understanding android itself. I have been around computers for 30 years and think myself capable of sorting OS's out but android has me totally confused.
    I have spent days trying to work out how to download to external sd card, but all my googling has left me thinking that it's either too hard or not possible.
    Anyway I have now managed to mount the sd cart to /mnt/external-sd. After setting to download location to /mnt/external-sd in download manager my downloads just fail and I can't tell you why because message flashes on and off the screen so rapidly.
    I am probably getting there but compared to windows and apple I find it very hard.I am happy to get any hints from you

Stewart

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Perhaps the SDCard slot is simply meant to put a card with content already on it so it can be played on the box?