1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

driver development in andriod

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by ironhide707, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ironhide707

ironhide707 New Member

Dec 2, 2010

Sponsored Ad

hey all,
    I am a newbie in android development. I just wanted to know that is it possible to do driver development in android OS . If yes then please can you point me to the correct direction of where to find any suitable data regrading driver development in android. Actually i have to build a filter driver for android development and as a newbie to this beautiful OS, i really need to find out that if it is possible. Please guys will you help me????

Thanks.
    Ironhide.

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Huh?? Welcomez

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Are there drivers in Android?

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

5. ironhide707

ironhide707 New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    no no guys, what i meant to say was this. We develop kernel drivers for windows and linux right? what i wanted to ask was that, is it possible to develop kernel drivers for android tooo?????

6. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    There have been many that have developed kernels for android. Some of them are over at ppcgeeks. Most of them are at xda but they rarely provide help.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android App

7. ironhide707

ironhide707 New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    so does this mean that i have to create a new kernel if i create a new kernel driver for android?????

8. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    ok explain to us what you mean by driver?

9. ironhide707

ironhide707 New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    ok let me explain the scenario:
    Every android based smartphone has a memory for storing songs, videos, etc . Now sometimes while using the internet, some malicious files or viruses can try to attack the smartphone. Now, every storage contains a filesystem which is the first thing that gets infected because of the viruses or other things.

Now in normal operating systems (like windows,Mac os X or maybe linux), there is an option of intercepting the IRP`s and saving the data somewhere else (let`s say a cache) and after checking the data, you can copy it onto your storage. This is accomplished by a filesystem filter driver.

So the purpose of this thread was to ask ya guys is it possible to create a file system filter driver in android. If YES, then please can your give me a head start on how to program a filter driver on android, what are the requirements which i should install before programming on android, and what programming language should i use to do it.
    Thanks,
    Ironhide.

10. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    You would need the SDK to start. It's probably all Java.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.